• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

General MG New Project

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yes, I've lost my mind.

But in a good way.

Victor TF - One of the few kits sold that never was completed. The previous owner managed a very good start on it, but progress stalled. I picked it up yesterday, and it's still in a friend's trailer this evening. Plan to drag it home tomorrow and tuck it away in the garage while I inventory and store all the bits and pieces. And there are LOTS! Will be posting more pictures and news of progress as I get into it.

For those who aren't familiar with the Victor, it's a truly faithful reproduction of the TF, designed to use MGB components, which keeps it all in the family. Got really rave reviews; here's a relatively recent article:

https://classicmotorsports.com/articles/first-class-fiberglass/

And here's a teaser shot of the car still in the trailer. Will post more when I get everything unloaded:

TF.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
wow! that was unexpected. Good on you - retirement must agree with you - and a great project! we will need lots of pictures and, Drew, this in no way validates any recent decisions :p

where did you find it?

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
wow! that was unexpected. Good on you - retirement must agree with you - and a great project! we will need lots of pictures and, Drew, this in no way validates any recent decisions :p

where did you find it?

One of our own (bcliff) posted on that ~other~ forum; the car "found" him. (Bruce - you need to get your fanny back over here!). The seller is a great guy, and had already done some nice work on it.

I'm really stoked about this thing. Lots of extras came with it, and it promises to be a great project.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Good for you. Something that interesting could get me back into LBC's. Bob C

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I always liked them Mickey, their a true runner with the B drive-train plus other upgrades. Good luck with the car. Nice to know it found a good home and will be well cared for! :encouragement: PJ

PS, If I were to do another, a Victor would be on the top of my list.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Paul. Gonna be fun!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Congratulations, Mickey! :cheers: Fellow local to me used to have one of those, it was really nicely done. I hope it's a good project for you.

and Drew, this in no way validates any recent decisions :p

Three cars feels about right, doesn't it. :grin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, well, well.... THAT oughta keep ya off th' streets fer a bit. :wink:

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll be following this, since I am probably the one to blame. I am really happy that this car has ended up in Mickey's capable hands. I rarely miss an opportunity to tout the virtues of the Victor TFs. I think they are one of the finest replicas made. I think the manufacturers remained true to what an MG replica should be. I have included a few pictures of what Mickey has gotten himself into.
The first is a picture of the car that was formerly owned by Rocky Frisco (Google him, he was a very colorful character) when the car arrived at my house. This car is my second Victor.
Second picture is the same car, as it sits this week.
Third picture is my first Victor, just before it went to a new home in Tennessee.
I hope Mickey has many hours of enjoyment finishing the car, probably a few minutes of frustration too.
I'll be following the progress, an may throw a few pictures of my own progress for fun too.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The blue one's looking good, Bruce!

Just unloaded the rest of the stuff into the garage and have to return the trailer. Will get some pictures up next day or so.

psmg

Freshman Member
Fantastic find Mickey, The Victor TF and your new Cigar Box guitar should keep you busy for quite a while. Great seeing you in Townsend.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic find Mickey, The Victor TF and your new Cigar Box guitar should keep you busy for quite a while. Great seeing you in Townsend.

Who dat? Izzat you, Paul? Glad you made it down here, and yep, I have my work cut out. Will be out of Janet's hair indefinitely!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Everything's in the garage - some pics:

Nestled between the roadster and the GT; you can just see the engine and transmission that came with it:

TF-garage.jpg

File cabinet full of parts; gas tank on top (goes between frame rails behind rear axle):

TF - tank, cabinet.jpg

Walnut dash with gauges:

TF - dash.jpg

Steering wheel:

TF - steering.jpg

Seats:

TF - seats.jpg

Lots of parts came with it. One of the extras is a new coil-over front suspension, but all the original suspension from the donor ('69 GT) is there as well. Gonna be busy!

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Mickey,
It looks great in your garage. I wish it was in mine, but with the number of projects I have, I'm going to have to let the blue one go too when it is finished.
I would be interested if yours still has the Victor serial number tag on the firewall. I'd like to compare it with the blue one.
That is the gas tank they used in later production. Blue car has something like an early MGB tank, held in with straps. Hopefully yours has the stainless grille shell, another later innovation. Blue car shell is cast bronze and weighs in at 45 pounds.
I seem to remember that Don said your car has GT rear springs. You should consider pulling at least two leaves out, they ride pretty stiff, even with roadster springs. 15" wheels will fill up the fenders a little more too.
I really the choice off steering wheel in the car, that is going to look nice. Seats look good too. I am almost to the upholstery in my project . The original leather seats were ruined by being left out for a year.
Have fun with yours, they are a blast!
Bruce

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looked, but couldn't find a serial number; any other location it might be?

Putting the gas tank where they did frees up the space inside the dummy tank; will make a nice storage compartment.

The grille is much lighter than 45 pounds, so it must be the later one.

Yes, the rear springs are from a GT, but Don had another set of roadster springs he was going to swap out. Based on your observation, I may pull a leaf out of those before installing. And I do want to go with 15" wheels; even if I was going to stay with 14's, these are pretty rough - the spare is in really sad shape.

Seats are vinyl. My first color choice was black with dark red interior, but as the seats and panels have never been used, will stay with the black interior. Probably will paint it dark British racing green.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Recent development: Just learned of another Victor TF less than 40 miles from here. Turns out it's the red one that Bruce sold! Found the guy's phone number and called him a couple days ago; had a nice long chat. I'm headed to his place later this afternoon to see him, the Victor, and his collection. He's a retired British car shop owner, and has several cars. Will post more info and maybe pictures later.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Sounds like a nice field trip! Have a good visit.

This is going to be a fun project for you.

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Just got back. He has the Victor, restoring a TD, has a TR3, a Daimler Dart, couple of TR8's, a TR7 Spider, MGC, couple of MGB's, one - a GT with a Buick 215 and automatic, a Daimler Princess, etc., etc.

And, yes, Basil, I mentioned the BCF, but he's not much on forum activity; probably won't see him here.

Anyhoo, Cliff, here's your red car as it sits today:

PICT0813.jpg

bcliff

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I just have to say that is fine looking car! I took the wipers off to ship it, I see they are still off. They were kind of useless anyway.
I'm looking forward to you getting started on your Victor. Also looking forward to finishing the blue car.
Cheers,
Bruce