• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bigeye transmission source?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have a 59 bigeye, and am interested in getting an updated transmission-one with the same casing but with updated innards. Are there any sources besides Quantum that does this?
Kevin

Last edited:

AN6-TX

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK giggle at the "Bigeye" feels like a troll or a bass boat or something <snork>

If you are looking to upgrade why not go whole hog and get a 5 speed from Gerard?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
It sounds like you're going for the "original" look, but don't discount finding the later ribcase transmission. They bolt right in, and most of the transmission is hidden from view anyways. Lots of them around, and can be had cheap.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I realized the typo only after I posted but the edit button would not let me change it. I really hate autocorrect. Hey, bigeye wouldn't be a bad name if you ask me with those headlights.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
JP, Isn't the five speed a Datsun transmission? If so, wouldn't it be impossible to get parts if needed?
I am trying to keep it as original as possible, but I also want to keep driving. What modifications would have to be made?

Drew, I have never considered using a non stock transmission before, so I never payed attention to other non-stock transmissions. When you talk about ribbed case transmission, are we talking about later Sprit transmissions, and if so, what years are we talking about?

Does anyone know of anyone who upgrades the smooth case transmission by putting in a later Sprite transmission in it like Quantum did?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yes, the ribcase is the later 4-speed used after the Bugeye -- so I think 61-74 or so. Bolts up with no modifications (you may need a different engine back plate, but I honestly can't remember). It's an evolution of the smooth case that came in our Bugeyes originally. I used one in my last Bugeye, and my current Bugeye came with one already installed. It would be by far the cheapest option for you, and they are pretty readily available. The only visual difference is a few ribs on the outside case, otherwise it really is a "stock" option. Same gear ratios as the close-ratio option that was available in period for the Bugeye.

As for the Datsun 5-speed, it's a nice transmission. I've got one in my Morris Minor, and have one set aside for my Bugeye. Bearings and seals are still readily available, and some other parts as well. Other internal parts are getting harder to find, but it's a very stout transmission. The downside is cost -- the boxes themselves are getting more expensive and you need a conversion kit (I used one from Gerard's Garage, excellent quality) that adds another layer of cost. Still, that overdrive is nice and installing it in the car doesn't require any major modifications to the body shell so it's easily reversible.