• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 distributor won't budge

dumb question

Freshman Member
In an attempt to adjust my timing I found that my distributor won't budge an bit. It seems completely seized on there. I sprayed a lubricant around the base after I had loosened the body clamp bolts and pinch bolts and have let it sit overnight. I've tapped it to create some vibration and after two days of this it still seems as immovable as ever. Any one know any tricks for this. I'm not a mechanic so please respond as if you were trying to explain this to an idiot.
Thanks for your help.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Did you try to spread the clamp a little bit...I usually use a flat tip screwdriver to widen it slightly.

Cheers
Tush

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Or just undo the works and try unbolting & pulling it with the clamp still attached. Once it is all on the bench you can deal with whatever is bound up.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Might be worth pulling the whole assembly off, so you can better see what is going on with the clamp. It is possible that the distributor body cracked at some point in the past (from over-tightening the clamp), and someone has done something like epoxy the body to the clamp. There are also slots where the clamp is bolted (actually nuts & studs IIRC) to the pedestal, so you can also adjust there if the clamp has been rendered non-functional.

OP
D

dumb question

Freshman Member
Thanks everyone for all of the good suggestions. But I should have been a bit more clear. The clamp is loose, both at the plate and the pinch bolts. But the distributor itself is immovable.
Sorry if that wasn't clear.
Please advise.
Thanks

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oh, OK. That probably means the bottom of the body has corroded inside the pedestal.

Your best hope of getting it apart without breaking the body is to remove the pedestal and try to drive it out from the other end.

Pay attention to how both the dizzy shaft and the gears are oriented. Photos would be good. And of course don't turn the engine.

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I was assuming the car was running? Or at least the engine turns over? If so don't try to turn the distributor by hand, undo and set aside the distributor cap. "bump" the starter by pushing the solenoid button or jumping the big wires on it, and see if the rotor turns.
Assuming it turns, as others have suggested pull it straight up and out, if it turns when bumping the motor it has to come out. Make sure to undo the distributor cap first and note which plug the rotor is pointing at so as not to reinstall backwards. Once out it should turn freely by hand if not, get back to us.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Yes that is a tight fit at the block and pedestal. Juice it up with some WD40 and tap or pry it up from the bottom then knock the distributor out of the pedestal like Randall suggested. It might help to get a book or go on line and look at some pictures of what you are tapping on because it is basically 3 pieces and the distributor is actually small.

OP
D

dumb question

Freshman Member
Thanks everyone. I'm going to try and remove the pedestal and disassemble it that way. If I run into deeper waters I'll let you know. All of your info has been much appreciated.

DonP

Country flag
Some PB Blaster or Kroil, patience and a judicious tap now and then with a rubber mallet might loosen the bind. Good luck.