• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Minilite Wheels

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Can anyone recommend suppliers on Minilite style wheels here in the US. I know Moss have them but would like to see if there are others with more competitive pricing. A friend of mine has some from John Brown that he really likes. Do they have any dealers over here?
They are for a TR4A solid rear axle. The size I want is 5.5x15" 4x114.3 pcd et15

Richard

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I bought John Brown Wheels from Midland Wheel Supply in the UK A few years ago - shipping cost were high but it was still a good deal. GBcarparts also has pretty good prices at times

OP
Scotsman

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
When ordering from the UK, did you have to pay US customs duty, or have any problems with regards to this.

Thanks

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
When ordering from the UK, did you have to pay US customs duty, or have any problems with regards to this.

Thanks

i did not but I can't guarantee that happens that way all the time.

OP
Scotsman

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Is anyone familiar with the Silverstone II wheel by GC360 Enterprises, and put them on a TR4A?

Acme Speed Shop sell them and list them as suitable for the TR4A. They look like very nice wheels but in conversations with Moss and other retailers I have been told the TR4A - TR6 have large callipers and you have to make sure you have the correct offset in order to clear them. They say the appropriate wheel size is 15x5.5 +15mm offset, 4x114.3 bolt, while the Silverstone II dimensions are 15x6 +24mm and +3mm offset.

I want to mount 185x70 tyres and don't want them to extend beyond the fenders.

Richard

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Richard,
Give Hap a call to discuss this. Before opening Acme Speed Shop he owned a tire and suspension shop and really knows his wheels.
Rut

Is anyone familiar with the Silverstone II wheel by GC360 Enterprises, and put them on a TR4A?

Acme Speed Shop sell them and list them as suitable for the TR4A. They look like very nice wheels but in conversations with Moss and other retailers I have been told the TR4A - TR6 have large callipers and you have to make sure you have the correct offset in order to clear them. They say the appropriate wheel size is 15x5.5 +15mm offset, 4x114.3 bolt, while the Silverstone II dimensions are 15x6 +24mm and +3mm offset.

I want to mount 185x70 tyres and don't want them to extend beyond the fenders.

Richard

The GC360 is no problem with a TR4 fitment, in fact the owner of GC360, Gerald Carlson is a TR4 owner, and has theses wheels on his own personal TR4. That was the whole deal with GC360, Gerald in a TR4 owner and wanted that style wheel for his TR4, so he got into the wheel manufacturing business. The 15x6 +3mm is the same as the VTO products for big Triumphs,. I've sold plenty of this fitment to TR3/4/6 owners over the last 14 years. The deal is this fitment is made for these cars and what some other are selling is "dual" fitment, like a 15x5 +15mm, which can be used on say a MGB, or big Triumph, but not really ideal for either, the 15X6 +3 is wheel that was made for the big Triumphs, and is not intended as dual application. As far as the 15x6 and acceptable tire width, anything from a 185-205 is ideal for the 6" width. If anyone has any questions, feel free to give me a call.

OP
Scotsman

Scotsman

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hap,

• If using 185's with the VTO or Silverstone II wheels on a TR4A, what is the ideal tyre aspect size and width, in order to avoid interference with the outer fender? 185x(60/65/70)R15 with a 6" tyre?? I would rather not have an overly fat tyre and this is why I'm looking at the 185 vs 205
  • Being that there is also some variation by manufacture, do you have a tyre you recommend for regular spirited road use.

There are two links (see below) to articles on the Moss web site that discuss all of these variables with the following quote: "TR2-TR4A: Fender clearance is anissue, and a wheel with less positiveoffset is required to clear the frontbrake calipers. This restricts themaximum wheel width."

https://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/Tire%20Sizes.pdf
https://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/Tire_Wheel Sizing.pdf

Thanks,

Richard