• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Quite a Birthday Present!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Son Paul surprised me last night. My birthday is coming up in a few days and last night he gifted me with this:

Matt is a friend of Paul's from summer camp days when I was chaplain at the Episcopal camp in Monteagle, Tenn. Had no idea he was this talented. His group is the Ghost Town Blues Band, and they've done quite well. Here's one of my new favorites:

The guitar is truly a one-off, and I'm completely blown away with it. Got to learn to play it now!

Thanks, Paul, and thanks, Matt!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Bas. This thing is really a piece of work!

Tuning is really simple: D-A-D, which is just like mountain dulcimer. No frets, and played with bottle-neck slide, something I've never done. Learning curve is pretty steep for me; definitely have my work cut out!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Happy Birthday indeed and what a great gift (and even better family!)

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, J-P; yeah, the family's pretty neat.

By the way, Paul told me that Matt's group travels to Toronto regularly; they'll be at the Beaches Jazz and Blues Festival in July.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Happy birthday, Bro! Neat gift!

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks! Big surprise for me.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Very cool! I play a bit of Appalachian Dulcimer. It's pretty easy to play some neat stuff. With what I have seen of what you can do with a banjo, you should be doing neat stuff with this soon! Very cool!

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
WOW. You are indeed a blessed man. Happy Birthday.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Very cool! I think that's a gift you'll remember for a long time. And happy birthday (late)! :cheers:

It's a bunch of fun to play slide. Just something about that little vibrato when you're holding out a note. You'll have fun learning it.

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nice birthday present Mickey, enjoy. I have a book by David Sutton on building cigar box guitars, was going to build one for my son but haven't done so yet.
also check out www.cigarboxnation.com

OP
Mickey Richaud

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Willie - nice website full of information. Just now doing some reading on these things. Surprisingly versatile! This one's fretless, which is really new to me, so I have my work cut out.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Happy Birthday!! (Sorry to be a few days late to the party...)

They say nothing is better than handmade gifts. And that handmade gift is tops!