• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Prince

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Definitely a shock. For anyone like myself who grew up in the 1980s, Prince was everywhere.

I didn't like him much growing up. I was a rock and roller, and growing up around a bunch of rednecks, we thought little of him. As I got older, I began to like his music more and more, and as a musician, I began to appreciate the genius he was as a songwriter, producer and musician.

I think my favorite story about Prince revolved around one of our old band roadies. He used to work as a stage hand at the Howard Theater in D.C. in the late 1970s. He saw Prince perform when Prince was still relatively unknown. As he watched him perform, he thought to himself "Look at this little (homophobic slur)...He'll never amount to anything" When recalling the story, he would add in the same breath "And that's why Prince is Prince, and why I'm just a roadie.".

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I wasn't a fan of Michaels either, not my form of entertainment, but what a loss to the world of a great talent. I doubt if here will ever be another to match him. PJ

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well he may not be our favorite music maker . However, he is a great music legend.--Keoke- The AZ:cowboy:

tcherek

I am a fan of his music. It was part of the soundtrack to my youth. I saw him live just last month, just him and a piano and it was life changing. He wrote a lot of songs that became hits for other artists as well. While I think about half of the songs that became commercially successful are actually overrated, he is pretty universally acknowledged as one of the best musicians to ever grace the planet. When someone asked Eric Clapton what it was like to be the best guitarist on the planet, he reportedly said, "I don't know, go ask Prince." While sharing the stage with some pretty established musicians (Tom Petty Steve Winwood, among others) in what appears to me as somewhat of a tantrum, Prince's solo at the end pretty much blows everyone out of the water. And while the veterans maintain their composure, the unknown kid playing guitar with these greats, probably with less ego involved than anyone else, is visibly awed by Prince's ability. And this wasn't even his own song and does not come close to demonstrating his ability with that instrument. If you doubt me, check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I am a fan of his music. It was part of the soundtrack to my youth. <snip>

The sound track of my youth was "Yeah Yeah Yeah" and started when I saw the Beatles first live US performance on 9 Feb 1964 on Ed Sullivan. That said, I have always felt Prince was an extremely talented guy. I may not have been an avid fan, but do injoy some of his music. Little Red Corvette and Purple Rain come to mind.

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Like Basil, I grew up with the Beatles and Prince was something of an acquired taste but some of his stuff grew on me, and there is no doubting his ability. Regardless, he will be missed, and not only by his avid fans. RIP.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Never really new Prince as an artist. But I HAVE heard of this guy...

west.jpg

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Before the release of Purple Rain he would play at 1st ave. in MN . I lived there at the time and saw him play many times .
the man had mad skills on every instrument he touched it was amazing to watch.
he played at a torrent pace from one song to the next never waiting for any aplude from us he played for the love of playing not for recognition . Something to to see. One of the great talents

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Just saw a short video of him playing piano pre-concert (at some stadium). Very good.

Moneypenny

Freshman Member
I moved to Minneapolis in part because of how Prince made the city a place where ALL music is appreciated. It was an environment that allowed me to flourish as a musician and to meet like-minded souls. And even though my music and his music are VERY different from each other, his influence on my life cannot be overstated. A good friend of mine (also a musician) had perhaps the most insightful comment; "Prince was the moisture in the air." If you are a musician in Minnesota, no matter the genre, Prince had an influence on you in some way, shape, or form. His influence permeated everything.

Minnesota is in an interesting state of joyful mourning. We miss him terribly, have shed many tears, but yet will go to First Avenue at 2am to drop into an all-night dance party to celebrate his life.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I moved to Minneapolis in part because of how Prince made the city a place where ALL music is appreciated. It was an environment that allowed me to flourish as a musician and to meet like-minded souls. And even though my music and his music are VERY different from each other, his influence on my life cannot be overstated. A good friend of mine (also a musician) had perhaps the most insightful comment; "Prince was the moisture in the air." If you are a musician in Minnesota, no matter the genre, Prince had an influence on you in some way, shape, or form. His influence permeated everything.

Minnesota is in an interesting state of joyful mourning. We miss him terribly, have shed many tears, but yet will go to First Avenue at 2am to drop into an all-night dance party to celebrate his life.

OK, so tell us about your music. I am fascinated by the rest of people's lives around here - and there are a good number of musicians.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Very cool - thanks! even though I am not one of those you write for :grin: love the name - how often are you asked why you named your band lemon? :grin:

Not exactly my sound I must confess but I am a Kraftwerk fan and I presume there is an influence there?

thanks for sharing! (is there actually a Citroen?)

Moneypenny

Freshman Member
Very cool - thanks! even though I am not one of those you write for :grin: love the name - how often are you asked why you named your band lemon? :grin:

Not exactly my sound I must confess but I am a Kraftwerk fan and I presume there is an influence there?

thanks for sharing! (is there actually a Citroen?)

No one made the lemon mistake, but plenty of people don't know how to pronounce it.

Most definitely a Kraftwerk influence, but probably once or twice removed. We're probably more influenced by the bands that Kraftwerk themselves influenced, but the connection is definitely there. I actually went to see Kraftwerk perform live last summer, which was something I've always wanted to do. Yes, it's four Germans standing still on stage, but there's no denying the uniqueness of it.

Sadly, no actual Citroen. Someday maybe, but my current cars keep me plenty busy.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yes, it's four Germans standing still on stage, but there's no denying the uniqueness of it.

Can't imagine it would be the most energetic concert? I still remember a general store in Cottage Country with a Pinball machine room and a juke box, and, bizarrely Auto Bahn in the Juke Box - I listened over and over and over

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
JP, I liked trans europe express, and the robots......was playing both for my 18 year old son who had never heard of Kratwerk....