• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A new Project, Morris 8 1936

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
IMG_1438.jpg

I just brought this home. 80 years old and a little worn. It does not run (ran when parked 6-8 years ago), and needs a little TLC. If anyone has one of these, I am going to need some pictures of your car to help with the fixing. There are a few items missing, but most of it is there.
Jerry

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
lovely! I am dreaming of a very old car these days - would love an austin seven but, no money and no room and I am happy married.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
My wife likes me to have a project. Keeps me out of her hair.
Today is pull it out of the trailer and figure out why it does not run and why the brakes don't work. I like puzzles.

Jerry

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
O please keep us posted and many pictures!

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have spent a day going over the car. It is a Series 1 4 seater. But I don't have any of the rear seat parts. Also, the engine has been replaced with a later engine from about 1951. Looks the same but has a water pump and a few other items. Amazing that Morris used the same engine for 15 years. The color is not original, they never made yellow cars then, but it does look good with a red interior. Parts are harder to find than our cars from the 50s and 60s. If I decide to really work on it, it needs a new interior, and soft top. Can't just order those from what I found so far. Today, I am going to see if the engine will start.

Jerry

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Last edited:
OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
That helps a lot. I have books on the way from England for the car. It is going to need a new interior soI will ask one of our club members who has an upholstery shop what that will cost.
The biggest question is : How much do you keep to original when the Motor does not match the car anyway?

PS: if you know anyone with one of these cars, I need lots of pictures.
Jerry

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
We got the car hot wired today and the engine runs! the wiring is a mess. Someone did not know how to wire a car. The fuel filter was in backwards and the pump was wired wrong. I turned it over with the crank a few dozen times with WD40 in the cylinders. Put in some starter fluid and it fired right up. Runs pretty good to. Can't drive it yet. No brakes. But one step at a time.

Jerry

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
we do like video - just sayin!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
YeeHah! It's alive!

Great expression on your face when you take it through the gears.

You're on your way. Congrats!

Say, where did you ever find a 1936 Morris 8? Not exactly something that you see for sale on street corners these days.

Tom M.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
How about, I got it for free! Friend of the family that wanted someone to take care of it and enjoy it. But, remember when these are fixed up, they are not worth much. Maybe $15K.

Jerry

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
How about, I got it for free! Friend of the family that wanted someone to take care of it and enjoy it. But, remember when these are fixed up, they are not worth much. Maybe $15K.

Jerry

Ah yes, "he got it for free and he got his moneys worth." :grin: been there done that! Seriously, it looks and sounds great! and, I suspect more than half the cars on the forum aren't worth 15k :devilgrin:

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
This is the third car I have got for "free". The first was a TR3A which cost me $30K to fix up. The second was a TR4 which I held a raffle in the club (free raffle) and gave the car to a member. My wife likes this Morris so I can't give it away. I think it is great to own an 80 year old car, but the car is not practical to drive very far.
Jerry

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
A little update on the car. We have determine what is not original and decided that we can make the visual look original but the running gear is going to stay as it is. Most of us would never know that the engine is not original. It looks the same but has the addition of a water pump and a more modern carburetor. Anyone recognise this carb? I would like to look up how to tune it.

carb on Morris 8.jpg

catfood

Jedi Knight
A Morris 8 turned up at my local pub meet last week. Any particular pictures you would like if its there next time?

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Yes, If it is a roadster, ie: 2 door with backseat. measure the rear top sill for me. I need to know how thick it is front to back. Also, if they have a top frame. I need some measurements of the bows. IE: how far from the windshield and how tall they are from a fixed point, floor or rear top rail.

Our annual club car show is this weekend, but as my wife does the registration, we have never had one show up. We did have one register, but it never came to the show. Tough to see what is original without a comparison.

Jerry

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I am bringing the car to the UBSCC car show in Dixon this Sunday (may 15th). If you come, ask for Jerry, I will be the person on the loudspeaker announcing everything.
https://ubscc.org/CarShow.htm
There will be some nice cars there. I found out yesterday that a 1930 Morris period race car will be there also. And a 1932 MG.