• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Stator Tubes

doc50

Jedi Trainee
I needed a TR3 stator tube and I found one at Macy's Garage a couple weeks ago. Came back a few days ago and couldn't find it listed. Turns out that Mark Macy's machinist is having significant health issues and has stopped making stator tubes for them.

(Hope he gets well soon).

After looking at it, I realized it's just a 3/8" OD s/s thinwall (.035) tube. Called my local Industrial Metal Supply and in an hour had a new one all made up.

I have enough extra tube to make another one if anyone needs one.

Thom

1959 TR3
#34909L(O)

Last edited:

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The ones I've seen do have some splits that keep it centered in the steering shaft and prevent rattling. Sad about Mark. I had been planning to order one of his tubes too...

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
John, the slot is just a 2" cut at the upper end and the 'anti-rattle lantern bushings' are separate items....but if you don't have those,some creative use of o-rings can keep the stator from rattling around. Place them at around the 1/3 points in the shaft. They are only meant to keep the stator tube from rattling.
You can easily make up a tube using 3/8" OD s/s tubing with a .035 wall thickness.

Thom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, Thom. I'll check it out...I assume The bushings can be slipped off and re-used. Definitely cheaper from the steel supplier!

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
John indeed, the lantern bushings can be re-used.

Marv, I don't know about your 3000....but I'll guess that the designers didn't want to think too far outside the box when creating that car.

You may find that the same tubing will work for you.

Thom

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
John indeed, the lantern bushings can be re-used...

You're probably trying to be politically correct - but the common descriptor of 'Chinese Lanterns' is certainly apropos for this item. I don't know if anyone offers them these days - I gave away my extras years ago. Would be rather ironic if you could get some actually made in China.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
If you want one delivered, Moss sells a stator tube for an Austin Healy ( 021-247) that I heard fits a tr3, but not sure

OP
doc50

doc50

Jedi Trainee
Haha, Geo, I wasn't so much trying to be PC....I just forgot what the heck we call those things. Chinese Lantern is indeed a good descriptor.

Luke, the thing about these stator tubes is they are so dead dog easy to make up. I had to buy a 10' length of 3/8" thinwall s/s ($15) and it took me 30 minutes to cut the slot with a dremel tool. Macy's, when they offered them, wanted $70. I bet any other supplier would be similar.

tedwone

Country flag
I made my own stator tube as suggested in earlier comments. Instead of the factory basket springs that keep the tube from rattling, I found some thin wall teflon tubing that fits over the tube and inside the steering column. Seems to work fine.

english john

Freshman Member
Country flag
I also spoke to Mark Macey and then went on a search for Stator tubes.Revington TR in the UK sell them but only for the non-adjustable steering, but you can convert them by
increasing the slot from 40mm to105 mm for adjustable.I have just received mine and they cost 25.35 GBP plus shipping. Part number is 300515 for TR3B

english john

Freshman Member
Country flag
Sourced a stator tube at Revington TR in the UK and have successfully converted it to fit my adjustable steering on my TR3B by
extending the slot to 105mm