• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dr. Blake Mysteries

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I wondered if anyone else is watching this series. Medicine and crime, in 1950s Australia. I'm *really* enjoying it. Lots of 1940s and 50s era cars typical of Australia in the time.

Aside from the fact that Dr. Blake drives a (modified) 1935 Standard 9, I'm really impressed with the many layers of character development. Seems every character leads a very "complicated" life; little is as it initially appears.

In addition, Dr. Blake has many psychological wounds, and carries heavy burdens, from his time in a Japanese POW camp during WW2.

Tom M.

drblakecar2_thumb.jpg

Flash_Harry

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Yep, I've been enjoying it here in NC. The Standard is quite something, and it's interesting to see the other period cars. One episode has what looks like a mid-50s Ford, driven by some military types.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have to admit I'm addicted to all the British/Australian mysteries and most have some pretty cool British iron: Dr. Blake and his Standard; Miss Fisher's Hispano-Suiza (ok, not British) ; Inspector Morse and his Mk II Jag, George Gently's Rovers and DS Bacchus's MGB' to name a few. But I love all those PBS mysteries, whether they have old cars or not.

dklawson

Yoda
It took me several episodes of Dr. Blake before I finally saw the Standard badging. I like most of the PBS mystery shows and it has been refreshing to see the OZ shows in addition to the British series.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
We have Satellite service here in the sticks, they don't have enough cable to reach us, :highly_amused:, anyway, Direct TV doesn't show it on their menu, so no go here. Would love to watch it, but one of the penalties for living in the boonies. :frown: PJ

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Don't get that show, but the wife and I watch stuff like Midsomer Murders, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Inspector Morse on NetFlix.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Don't get that show, but the wife and I watch stuff like Midsomer Murders, Agatha Christie's Poirot, Inspector Morse on NetFlix.

Just working through Midsomer Murders for the second time - lots of background classics - and a green Minor wagon that keeps reappearing :smile:

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
watched Midsomer Murders a couple of times and it was ok but I do enjoy watching Doc Martin.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I seem to get caught up in most of those Brit mysteries as well as comedies. They just have an entirely different "feel" from our domestic ones, more "low key" or something refreshing.