Thread: Spring and the smell of burning eclectics are in the air

Discussions of MG Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smile Spring and the smell of burning eclectics are in the air

I love how my home town of boston is dealing with snow and I'm BBQing .
    well the Spridget is to be the main workhorse this summer. but I went out and try to start it . the battery sounded low and then smoke floated from under the dash. Ideas? its slated to get a new harness nest summer
    the B the winter workhorse gets a new harness this summer but it is having "funny issues" the fan switch goes on in the off position un less you giggle the switch. the fuel gauge reads empty when if it was disconnected it would read full. and now all the marker lights are out. I would like to get another 2 months out of it before tear down. Ideas?
    and the jag is starting to burn a hole in my budget for Repair panels but that will be ok and it gets a new harness this summer too.

its going to be a lot of quite days just wiring this summer. the chemo is still sapping my strength, so minumle driving.

steve
    its a sobering thought that when Motzart was my age he had been dead for 12 years.
    Shaggy 70 Spridget
    Kitty 67 Jag MK2
    Folly 70 MGB-GT
    welly 95 Jag XJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Re: Spring and the smell of burning eclectics are in the air

Hi, Steve -

Sorry you're having health issues. I'm dealing with post-prostatectomy stuff myself. Not fun.

Anyway, no thoughts on your electrical issues, but hopefully you already have these wiring diagrams for the B; if not, they may be of help:

https://www.advanceautowire.com/mgb.pdf

Mickey
    "There are three kinds of men. One who learns by readin'. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on that electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers
    Mickey Richaud '73 MGB, '69 MGB GT/V6 (SOLD! ), Victor TF, '03 Jaguar XK8
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks ill print that out . i just scanned the Jag wiring diagram this morning.
    the lights are back on I can't figure out why but the new harness will solve that. and i can't fine any burnt wires on the midget. thats a worry.
    its a sobering thought that when Motzart was my age he had been dead for 12 years.
    Shaggy 70 Spridget
    Kitty 67 Jag MK2
    Folly 70 MGB-GT
    welly 95 Jag XJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sopwith_Camel View Post
    thanks ill print that out . i just scanned the Jag wiring diagram this morning.
    the lights are back on I can't figure out why but the new harness will solve that. and i can't fine any burnt wires on the midget. thats a worry.
    First off, sorry about the chemo - take care of yourself! In terms of the wire harness you clearly need an OEM spoke recovery kit!

https://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Seriously, when I had the harness out of the Midget I found a wire had melted and fused to the wire next it. It was replaced and all is fine - and I put relays in - but, two wires fused would account for your issues - as would a bad ground or two.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks, yes this i my third midget. everything looks ok I changed the wire to the started and it did start ok. I did pop the dash and went through what i could. I couldn't find any burnt wires on ignition system.
    Shaggy 70 Spridget
    Kitty 67 Jag MK2
    Folly 70 MGB-GT
    welly 95 Jag XJ