• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Momo or Nardi steering wheel on early TR6?

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi,

Has anyone installed a Momo or Nardi steering wheel on an early TR6?

The reason I ask is that my TR4 currently has an early TR6 steering wheel, hub, horn button and button surround installed. I need to replace the steering wheel (it's bent). But, I'd like to keep the hub, horn and finish piece, if at all possible.

I notice Momo and Nardi steering wheels bolt up to their hubs with 6 bolts, and the bolt circle appears (judging by eye) to be similar to the TR6 hub/wheel.

I'm just wondering if anyone can tell me if these are a direct fit: Momo/Nardi wheel to early TR6 steering wheel hub?

File attached shows the TR6 wheel/hub/etc. installed in my car (please ignore the mockup gauges taped to the dash ;-)

Thanks in advance!

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

Attachments

• 122145-New_gauges_w.jpg
    122145-New_gauges_w.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 214
OP
Alan_Myers

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
Hi Shannon,

Let me explain a little further...

Under the horn button trim on your steering wheel there are 6 mounting screws, that hold the wheel to the hub. I was wondering if they are the same mounting pattern as the original, factory installed early TR6 steering wheel/hub. In other words, I thought maybe the Nardi (and Momo) wheels will bolt up directly to the TR6 hub, without a special adapter hub. I've got an early TR6 hub (and steering wheel) mounted on my TR4 right now. The hub fits well, horn works, etc.

Many steering wheel manufacturers use their own special pattern and require an adapter hub. For example, Grant uses a 5-bolt pattern. Moto-Lita uses a 9-bolt pattern. I'd like to avoid an adapter hub, if at all possible, but could use a new steering wheel. I've used the TR6 hub/wheel on my car for a number of years, but after a crash some time ago, it's bent and egg-shaped. Straightening seems next to impossible.

Early TR6/late TR250/5 steering wheels do show up occasionally on eBay and would make for the easiest swap, but are pretty scarce and are often beat up. For that matter, I'd rather see a really nice one used to maintain the originality of one of these cars, rather than used "incorrectly" in an older car like my modified TR4. So, I'm exploring alternatives.

Early TR250/5, TR4/4A and earlier original Triumph steering wheels are mostly "banjo" style and look great in the cars, but aren't very strong. (I've got a broken one in my spare parts collection. BTW, an optional wooden-rimmed wheel was offered in the TR4 factory spare parts catalog.)

Beginning with TR250/5 there were factory steering wheels with flat metal spokes offered. These are stronger and generally safer for vintage racing and such. Looking at the pattern on Nardi and Momo wheels (and a few other brands using the same) it appears to be very close to the early TR6 bolt pattern. So, I was just hoping someone here would know if that's true. Alternatively, I might find a local Momo/Nardi dealer, take my old steering wheel and compare.

I'm limited to a leather-covered wheel, not wood-rimmed. Many racing venues prohibit wood-rimmed steering wheels. Plus, my car does not have a wood dash, so plain, black leather simply looks better.

In my car, to me a 14" or 15" wheel with little or no dish seems ideal. If Nardi or Momo or other brands usingthe same pattern would happen to fit, there would be lots of sizes and styles to choose.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Incidentally, your Nardi wheel looks great! (except I can't use a wood-rimmed wheel)

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
'62 TR4 CT17602L

LastDeadLast

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Alan,

My Nardi is bolting up directly using the single bolt; there is no adapter. The horn even works!... most of the time anyway.

Webb,
The wheel came with the car and from the looks of it, it's been there for a while. It's in good shape, but it just looks "used" in a good way if that makes sense. Best I can tell, it's a Nardi Classico in Mahogany. Nardi sells them for $350.00.. I'm glad mine came with it!

Alan (again),

I think they make a 14" in leather, so that would fit your "no-wood" criteria.

ClassicoLeatherNew.jpg

Webb Sledge

Jedi Warrior
I like the wood one, but the problem is that they often don't match up to the color and grain of the dash, and they end up looking wierd.