• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dash Lighting [cost and access of incandescent Bulbs]

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

Well, maybe now is the time to investigate and change dash lighting in my Gauges. Recently, I had an Incandescent bulb actually come apart and it has only been a little over 50 years. However, searching for a replacement seems to indicate it would be less expensive and a brighter idea to change to another lighting approach as I have found finding original-type bulbs to be difficult to find and, when found, has grown quite expensive (with the addition of shipping and handling).

Although I would prefer to just replace the original incandescent, has anyone tried Electroluminescent Tape (EL) installed inside the gauges? Also, can any supply search specifications for e10 base LEDs bulbs for gauges and indicators?

Any ideas and information would be appreciated,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

dancrim

Jedi Hopeful
HiPo Garage has LED's in many styles, however they are a little high on prices. Good Info there on dash
lights. You need a a bulb that will dim. Read the Tech. section on dash lights. They will also brighten up
the dash lighting.

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
LEDs are a great and brighter option and are available for POS and NEG ground 12V systems. I purchased a set off e-bay. Do a search and look for Tiger1a seller. He's the primary source for our major suppliers. e10 based LEDs "plug and play" ready for all gauges and directional lamp(s). Incandescent bulbs still in place for my warning lamps. Rather than pure white, these LEDs emit somewhat blueish, but that's fine since our gauges have blue collars and the directional housing is green. GONZO.

Mert

I installed LEDs (Superbright) on every gauge and indicator lights on my BN7. I had a positive ground and was able to exchange the LEDS making sure which side of the wiring was neg / pos. Superbrights (St Louis) has everything you need. I put LEDS in the parking lamps, rear lights, high beam, turn signals. Only one you cannot replace is the generator power (red) light. Mert

D

Deleted member 19315

I installed LEDs (Superbright) on every gauge and indicator lights on my BN7. I had a positive ground and was able to exchange the LEDS making sure which side of the wiring was neg / pos. Superbrights (St Louis) has everything you need. I put LEDS in the parking lamps, rear lights, high beam, turn signals. Only one you cannot replace is the generator power (red) light. Mert

I, m considering this change to LED dashlamps too so am very interested in the thread. Mert did you experience any flashing rate problems with changing the turn signals? I'm not sure how to progress with my 100/6 which has combined rear lights turn signals and brake lights in the rear and combined turn and side lights at the front. I can easily source an LED equivalent to the twin filament incandescent currently used but and worried I may make myself a world od problems I don't have time for ?

Andy

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Thanks All for your quick responses. Do you have any numbers for or specifics for the bulbs you have installed. My BJ8 is negative ground and I did look at the MOSS catalogue but, of the 2 models they picture (and extended bulb and a flat bulb) which one did you choose. What did you ask for and/or order?
Thanks again,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Not everyone likes the same thing, but I have been known to remove LED lighting on a vehicle that did not come with it originally. On a nice original or restored Healey, aftermarket lighting may hurt the value.

An exception would be if LED or other after-market lights can improve the brightness and safety of the front and rear lights; then safety considerations would outweigh correctness. (I love the LED and HID driving lights on my F350)

Mert

If you put in LED on the front and rear lights, you will need another flasher unit. My challenge came with the positive ground issue. You will need two in line resistors (RL-650), 1 - FL-3 LED flasher relay, 2 each 1157-R18-T Red LED bulbs, dual intensity 18-MSD LED tower (non-polarity) and same data for a set of 2 Amber LED. What is listed here I still have left over from my conversion. I also have some electro-mechanical flasher units that will work better in lieu of the FL-3. I have sold my AH BN7. It is now in England. So these items are available, it anyone is interested. Do NOT buy any LED kits from "12".. Super-bright was/is my main source of all types of automotive lighting issues.

Mert

I forgot to mention, due to my AH being with positive ground, I ended up buying LED disc boards for both the front and rear lights. The source of these is the following Classicautoleds.com He is in Oregon. You will still need a new flasher, the resistors if you purchase a set from him (I believe his name is David). These kits are not cheap. But he guarantees the work. He called me from Oregon when I was putting the LED boards in my AH. Worth the $$ for me. I was going no where with the positive ground polarity. He resolved the issue. But the LED from Super-bright will work just fine and are not as expensive, as I mentioned in the last posting.

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Increased the exterior park, turn and brake lights by using halogen light bulbs I got from BCS. My phase 2 has the parking lights so I left them as they were as the 20 watt clear bulb would have been too bright. all I had to do was swap out the bulbs! The brake light bulb was a special wattage that BCS seems to be the only one who has them. No flasher changes needed.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bought these for my dash lights. <$4 each:
https://www.ledlight.com/e10-screw-9-5050-3-chip_12_vdc.aspx

Will report back when installed.

screenshot.501.jpg

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I found that painting the inside of the housing of the gauge white made a significant increase in brightness. My tach was painted light blue inside and the white made it much brighter.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guys, you don't want your cars to look like pimp mobiles!

Well Yeah!!-But: IMOP

If you drive long distances you are not going to want all that brightness in the cockpit at night.

I Used the same scheme as JohnBN4 above

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Be careful with halogen bulbs inside plastic lens caps. They put out a bunch of heat.
The 20 watt bulbs have been tested with no problems by BCS and the 50 watt bulbs for the brake lights as well. Fortunately the brakes are not on very long.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Back in 2008 I ventured into this topic of gauge bulbs
https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcf...e-with-LED%92s&highlight=brighten+dash+lights

The easiest modification to better illumination of the gauges is to add another 2.2w incandescent bulb in the bottom of the tachometer and speedometer. That will balance out the top light and the entire gauge will now be lit up more uniform. Very easy, buy another bulb holder and bulb, drill the hole in the back bottom of the gage, insert bulb holder, splice into the top bulb wire, done.

The fuel and water/oil gauge, replace the 2.2w bulb with a 4w long shaped bulb.

The directionals, high beam and ignition, replace with a superbright led bulb.
DSC01628.JPG

Last edited:

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
How can we see the pictures in the old article?
I guess some of the pictures are not there anymore? Page 8 in the old article (link) has some of my prior photos.

Here's one photo from page 8 that shows the following:
Fuel, 4w incandescent
Oil/water, 4w incandescent
Speed, (2) 2.2w incandescents
Tach, (2) 1w superbright LED's (to show the difference)
IMG_4468.JPG

Below shows 2.2w in tach/speed and 4w in fuel/oil
IMG_2819.JPG

Below shows where I added the second bulb (brass with red wire) in the tach/speed
IMG_2790.JPG

These are the bulbs
DSC01628.JPG

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All and thank you for all the responses.

Roger, I was initially looking for your earlier posting as I was having difficulty finding the incandescent bulb replacement and thought it would be a good time to go LEDs. However, I must admit I like the 2-bulb incandescent look as they produce a more intimate presentation that, I feel, is more consistent with the age of the cars. Since I now drive my Healey very infrequently at night, bulb longevity is less important to me but a clear presentation is. I believe I will take your suggestion and consider installing LED bulbs to illuminate the dash directional indicators.

Thanks again,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

Last edited: