• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A electric fan

Sumton

Country flag
i have a 62 TR4, which was pretty modified by its two previous owners. i've kept up the tradition; it needed an engine rebuild so we upped it to 89 mm pistons. needles to say, it runs a bit hot. did not have a mechanical fan on it when i got it; it had a pretty strange big heavy metal motor driving a very funny looking little fan. i went to ebay, found a nice electric fan, pinned it to the front of the radiator, and figured i was good to go. been out and driving it for the last month or so, and finally got caught in stop and go traffic. the needle just kept going right, even with the fan on (and i've also upgraded to a 60 am alternator). i don't yet have the shroud on, and i figured i need to move to puller instead of pusher. but i'm thinking i need a much higher rpm fan and i'm looking for recommendations. as i said, i replaced the 30 amp alternator (like i said, its been modified quite a bit) with a 60 amp, so i can handle the pull. or maybe someone can give me some guidelines on rpm?

thanks!

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I'd get the shroud on before I'd mess with anything else. Without the shroud, the air coming through the grill will go as much around the radiator as through it. You want to direct as much of the incoming air through the radiator as possible. The shroud funnels the air into the radiator.

malbaby

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I fitted a good quality "Spal" puller fan to my TR4, together with a thermo switch fitted into the bottom radiator tank, also custom made an alloy shroud, electronic relay for the fan.
I emphasize good quality, cheap fans are a liability.
Did you fit a new harmonic balancer in place of the old factory fan set up?

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
My 4A had a pusher fan when I got it. I kept it after the rebuild but had a thermo switch from a Mitsubishi Magna installed in the header tank when I had the radiator rebuilt. It would still occasionally get hot. I replaced it with a puller about 4 years ago and that seems to work better. It does not block off the radiator when you are moving. No issues since. We drove across the Nullarbor Plain here in Oz in 2014 - 3000 miles - and even in 38c heat the car was fine. Can't say the same for the occupants.....

I agree about the importance of the radiator shroud. Did you have the radiator rebuilt?

OP
S

Sumton

Country flag
i did not have the radiator rebuilt. i did check the water level when i got home and had to add almost a gallon!!! i'd say that's most of the problem. but i am definitely moving the fan to puller, and installing the shroud. i have it; was just too preoccupied with the many, many issues of getting that car going that i just had not gotten to it.

OP
S

Sumton

Country flag
today i converted the fan to puller, and tested it by dropping a little talcum powder in front of the radiator. ever since a mechanic installed the fan backwards i always test. today the temperatures were hotter (almost 80), and i was caught in traffic several times. no issues whatsoever. i did not install the shroud because - are you ready - i had ordered it a few years ago and never really looked at it. Moss built it inside out. that nice shiny black crackle surface? on the inside. that plain cardboard surface, complete with stuck on label - facing up and out. i really don't think i could have reversed it, so i just painted it. btw i am not impressed with the construction - wouldn't order that part from moss again.