• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 How do you guys fold the top??

TomChar

Country flag
I would think this was obvious, but it's not to me. My big concern is protecting the clear side windows, especially at the corners by the back window.

I unzip the rear window and lay it against the back valance panel, then unsnap the top from the bows and let that lie flat on the deck as the top bows fold down. This is where it gets iffy. I can either fold the corner windows over onto the top, then fold the top over the bows, or fold the top over the bows and then tuck in the windows. The second way actually lets me re-snap the windows to the body, and puts a nice gentle curve in the plastic. This seems to protect the corners the most for me, but obviously I can't use a cover.

Just wondering if there's a method I'm not seeing here. The car came with a few small tears, and those corners are torn out already, but I want to save it as much as I can. It's by no means ever going to be a show car, it's a daily driver actually, and the top doesn't look too bad or leak in regular rain while driving, and is garaged otherwise.

Just looking for ideas.

Cheers,
Tom

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Tom, do you have the owners manual?
That is going to a lot of trouble. Unsnap the sides, pull the top handles and push it down and fold in the corners. Done, now put the cover on.
If the window is of concern, use a soft towel on the outward side as you fold it down.

Wayne

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Start with this

https://youtu.be/IS2FhnWK6_o

I also have a couple of towels that place strategically around and over the windows before putting the top cover on.

Cheers
Tush

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I also have a couple of towels that place strategically around and over the windows before putting the top cover on.

In addition to protecting the vinyl windows, I place two foam pieces that I keep in the trunk over each rear wheel well. It prevents the metal frame from damaging the wheel well covers.

OP
TomChar

TomChar

Country flag

A "TR6 Top Folding" video... gee, how easy a search would that have been. Except for the color, that's my car, even the wheels.

I do have the original owners manual, but the cover's so brittle I haven't opened it and it's been sitting on a bookshelf so long I forgot all about it!

Thanks everyone.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Isn't there a supposed to be bump stop or buffer that protects the vynil on the inner wheel arches?
As far as the top I tend to fold the windows and leave them on top, but I have experimented with tucking them in. It didn't seem to make much difference, but I don't stress to much over what I consider normal wear and tear.

On another note on the top, from distant memory that the 4A top tucked into the boot neater and also took up less space there. Since I spend most of my time driving with the top down I have considered fitting a TR4A frame (I have a spare) and top (would have to buy) to save a little weight and have more room in the boot with the top up.

I

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
..... On another note on the top, from distant memory that the 4A top tucked into the boot neater and also took up less space there. Since I spend most of my time driving with the top down I have considered fitting a TR4A frame (I have a spare) and top (would have to buy) to save a little weight and have more room in the boot with the top up.

You're throwing me for a bit of a loop here. Are you talking about a folding top that goes into the rear shelf area behind the seats where the optional "occasional rear seats" could be placed or a separable hood/top and frame that is removed and stored in the boot/trunk when not erected?

It's been a while since I have had a TR4A so I am going off of some potentially fuzzy memories. If you are talking about the later TR4A type folding hood/top that was stowed in the rear shelf area, I don't recall it being much if any smaller than that used by the TR5/TR250/TR6. Something else to consider, IIRC the windscreen frame and header rail latches are different between the TR4A and the later TR5/TR250/TR6. If that memory is correct, you would also need to use a TR4 or TR4A windscreen frame to use a TR4A hood/top.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am talking about the folding top, the TR4a and TR250-6 are similar, but the later cars have hardware for the sides to seal with velcro above the side windows. The 4A doesn't, it has been a while for me too, but I think all the additional hardware takes up a little more space with the top folded. My memory is an 8 pack pop cooler would fit pretty easy behind the seats with the boot cover on with a 4A, and it can be done, but is a pretty tight fit with the TR250.

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I started wondering if the difference might be in the seats. I looked at some 4A seats that I have and am not seeing where the seat backs are appreciably thinner than those on a 250 or a 6, they look about the same as a 250 and early 6, slightly thicker than 73 and up 6. At this point I have to conclude that if there was more room back there, it has to be due to differences in the folded top dimensions between the 4A and the later cars.

gbtr6

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
When I fold mine, I unsnap all the way around the sides, then unlatch and lift the front. As it starts to fold, I pull the top material out and lay it on the back deck as the frame folds up completely. I fold the top over the frame, and then I fold the side windows over the top. Haven't had any trouble with the windows scratching. I don't zip the rear window out at all.

Perry

Graze

Freshman Member
When I fold mine, I unsnap all the way around the sides, then unlatch and lift the front. As it starts to fold, I pull the top material out and lay it on the back deck as the frame folds up completely. I fold the top over the frame, and then I fold the side windows over the top. Haven't had any trouble with the windows scratching. I don't zip the rear window out at all.

Perry

Thats the right way to do it Perry

I lay a towel on top of the rear window before folding the sides in to avoid scratching of the clear Panels

Graze