• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Torqueing heads after startup.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When you re-torque the heads after startup, do you loosen the head bolts then go through the proper sequence to torque them to the required setting or do you just check each head bolt to see if it is still at the proper setting. My concern is the piston liners and loosing the figure 8 seal if I loosen the head bolts. Is there a chance of loosing the seal and water getting into the oil system or am I concerned for nothing. Thanks and have a good day!

John

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The way I was taught to do it (and always have) is to loosen each nut/bolt one at a time, then turn it back to the correct torque before doing the next one. Do that in the recommended sequence, but don't loosen them all at once.

However, I think there is very little chance of losing the fig 8 seal even if you do take them all loose. I've had the head off more times than I can count, and never had a problem with Fig 8 gaskets. The workshop manual even gives the procedure. In theory, you should clamp the liners in position if you are going to turn the engine with the head off (for fear the liners might move with the pistons), but I've even gotten away with not doing that.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Do not loosen the nuts. Apply the torque to the high side of the recommended torque. If they break loose, then turn until you reach the recommended torque. If they do not break loose, then do not exceed the high side recommendation.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I'll go +1 to Randall's method. If you do not loosen them, it will take additional force to overcome the static friction (just as it will take more force to loosen them than it did to tighten). At least that's what my mentors taught me.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I'll go +1 to Randall's method. If you do not loosen them, it will take additional force to overcome the static friction (just as it will take more force to loosen them than it did to tighten). At least that's what my mentors taught me.
Tom

That's why there is a range for torque. I was taught (while learning a BS in mechanical engineering...from PHD engineers) to torque with lube to the low value. When checking, bring it to the high value because of the "static" friction you are talking about. Never loosen a torqued bolt unless you plan to remove it.

I'm sure everyone wondered why there is always a range of torque...now you know.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I use Randall's method (which does not mean it is best) and put a dot of paint on the stud and nut to mark their starting position. Then I can see when I am done what moved as a result of the re-torque.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Do not loosen the nuts. Apply the torque to the high side of the recommended torque. If they break loose, then turn until you reach the recommended torque. If they do not break loose, then do not exceed the high side recommendation.

No PHD engineers in my background and probably quite a few without even a H.S. diploma. I'll still go with them, though.
Tom