• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

get ready for st patricks day with this recipe from chili pepper madness

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
[h=2]Slow Cooked Corned Beef with Spicy Guinness Gravy and Caramelized Cabbage Recipe[/h] Ingredients

• 1 bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 habanero peppers, chopped
  • 1 stalk celery, chopped
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 pound corned beef brisket
  • 2 bottles Guinness beer - enough to almost cover the beef
  • 3-4 tablespoons spicy mustard – I used our Homemade Habanero-Horseradish Mustard)
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon flour
  • FOR THE CARAMELIZED CABBAGE
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • ½ head medium sized cabbage, shredded
  • 1 white onion, chopped
  • 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped into rings
  • ¼ cup white wine
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • Water as needed
  • ¼ cup balsamic vinegar
  • Lemon for serving
Cooking Directions

1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
  2. Rinse the corned beef thoroughly. It will be pretty darned salty. You can discard the seasoning packet it comes with. Not needed for this recipe. No way! Pat it dry and set aside.
  3. Heat a Dutch Oven or a wide-large pot to medium heat. Add olive oil and heat.
  4. Add peppers, celery and onion. Cook about 6 minutes to soften, stirring here and there.
  5. Add garlic and cook another minute.
  6. Wisk together the Guinness with the mustard and honey.
  7. Add corned beef to the Dutch Oven along with the beer mixture. Bring to a quick boil then reduce heat to simmer about 5 minutes. Cover and transfer to the oven.
  8. Cook for 4 hours, flipping the corned beef once about half way through.
  9. Remove from heat. Stick a fork in the corned beef and test for tenderness. You should be able to pop the fork right in there. If it isn’t tender enough for you, bake it another 30 minutes or so. It should be SUPER TENDER at this point.
  10. Remove the beef and rest a few minutes while you make your gravy.
  11. For the gravy, strain out the liquids into a separate bowl. You should have about 1 cup. Discard the solids.
  12. Heat the empty Dutch Oven back to medium heat on the stove and add butter. Melt.
  13. Swirl in the flour and stir to form a roux. Cook a couple minutes to brown nicely. Add the strained juices from the corned beef and reduce heat to a simmer. Stir often to thicken the gravy. It is SO GOOD!
  14. Slice the corned beef against the grain and serve over mashed potatoes, then top with your spicy Guinness gravy, and Caramelized Cabbage on the side. Here is a Cheesy Garlic Mashed Potatoes Recipe to consider. Or just use your favorite recipe.
[h=2]Caramelized Cabbage Recipe Cooking Directions[/h]
  1. Heat a large pan to medium heat. A good stainless steel pan here is ideal.
  2. Add oil and heat. Add cabbage, onion and jalapeno peppers. Cook about 8 minutes to brown it all up, stirring frequently. You will form a lot of brown bits at the bottom of the pan. This is a good thing.
  3. Hit it with your white wine and let it reduce. Scrape up the bits from the bottom of the pan and stir. You may need to do this frequently.
  4. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook for about 40 minutes, scraping up bits from the bottom and stirring often. You can also add the sugar about 20 minutes through and stir to speed along the caramelization.
  5. When everything is nice and brown, add balsamic vinegar and stir. Cook for 5 minutes.
  6. Remove from heat and set into a serving dish. Squeeze a bit of lemon juice over the top and serve with extra lemon wedges.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
drooling-homer-simpson.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
WOW! That sounds fantastic! Will have to give it a go.

Thanks!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mickey - just a word of warning from someone who's been there -

A few hours after eating anything alcoholic or spicy, you will experience "great unpleasantness" when urinating.

The day after removing my catheter, I stupidly enjoyed sauerbraten, pickle, cranberry sauce, and a couple glasses o' wine.

Eating/drinking = fun.
But afterward ... not.

Tom M.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Tom. I've had my fill of "great unpleasantness"! Will be laying off spicy stuff, etc. for a while after removal. Which should be next Wednesday.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ya want about six weeks of ~bland~ diet, Bro.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ya want about six weeks of ~bland~ diet, Bro.

Yeah, yeah - I know. But my Cajun self's pretty recalcitrant. I'm sure to fall off the wagon soon!

OP
weewillie

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
Focus Mickey, Focus

and after you can check out the chili pepper madness site

OP
weewillie

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
had this tonight with champ, corned beef was excellent gravy superb, not so keen on the cabbage as I like my cabbage boiled, however it all washed down well with a can of Guiness and a can of Boddingtons

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Cabbage rolls tonight.

Erin Go Bragh!

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I made it today for our soup group that a neighbor has been putting on for 14 years now. The corned beef was great, cabbage, i used a whole head, had me scared but in the end turned out good, and the gravy was way too runny, but tasted very good. Everyone said i had to do it again. I said every time St Pats is on a Thursday night i will! (they will probably have to remind me the next time it comes up). I don't do a lot of cooking but enjoy tackling something like this.
I forgot to mention the recipe and I tied on the number of Guiness' used :encouragement:.

Last edited:
OP
weewillie

weewillie

Darth Vader
Country flag
just make more roux for the gravy