• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Windshield Installation - on or off the car?

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have the windshield off my TR6 now and will be installing a new glass and seals. For those who have done it themselves- is it easier to do with the frame off the car or on? I've done several Sprites and MGBs but not a TR. I can do it either way. It would just be nice to do it the easiest way.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve, I would set it on plastic in the channels just for stability. The plastic for catching soup and water.
I always try and get the bottom corners mostly in before going up the sides to the top. It will then need a tube of sealer behind from the front.

Wayne

I would change it, but who am I to screw up the fun, if you are lucky you will live long enough to make stupid mistakes.

Last edited:
OP
sqbsprite

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Wayne, so you feel it is easier to assemble the glass into the frame with the frame on the car. I know the process of getting the glass in the rubber and it into the frame is pretty standard. I'm just asking if it is more difficult to work with the frame sitting on shop floor or saw horses than it is to try to get to it on the car. The TR frame with the two mounting posts is not as easy to hold and push the glass at the same time, but it is also hard to work around the steering wheel, dash and other parts of the car when it is bolted in place. I could take the wheel off and the seats out to make room to stand inside the car .I guess your process would be to temporarily bolt it to the car and then pull it off to remove the plastic and install the lower frame to cowl seal. The Sprite and MGB, I could do by myself. I know I will need another person to help with the TR.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I've had mine (TR4, same set-up) done both ways - my recollection of the off-the-car process was that 3 guys (pros) were involved. Look trickier than with the frame secure on the body.

Country flag
I did it on the car by myself a few times. Cracked one and said no more. Carried frame and glass to local shop, they installed it for $35. Well worth the price.

Marv

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Steve,
I have done three front windshields plus two surrey top windows. No question it is better to do it on the car unless you have an equivalent way to hold the frame in place. Most of the action is on the outside of the windshield so the steering wheel is only a minor problem. Just get some good strong rope ( small diameter) for pulling the seal into the frame. You need lubricant to help the process. A foaming windshield cleaner works here. Yes, removing the seats will help. Then you can stand in the car and work over the top of the windshield. I would not care to try it alone. I put the rubber seal on the windshield for maybe a week and left it in a warm place to try to get the seal to form better to the shape of the windshield. Other helpful tools are a set of upholstery tools that are plastic to pry with (Harbor Freight-$2.99) and a screwdriver like metal probe that is bent at a 90 degree.
Charley

OP
sqbsprite

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks everyone for the advice. Looks like on the car is best. Probably be a couple more weeks before I'm ready. I'm painting the cowl tomorrow. If I have problems or see some method that works well for me, I'll post it on here for others. Also hope for a warm day to do it.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Marv and I went to the same school of windshield installation, I have done a few, cracked one, said no more. As others have said, you need to puch and pull and such, and it is easier if the frame is solidly mounted to the car. After I broke one trying to install on my TR250 I had the safelite guy come and do it, he was freindly and willing to let me watch and learn. I thought I was being smart by usinng a thin strong piece of twine for the rope trick to pull the seal through, wrong, first it can break, second the thinner stiff is more likely to rip the rubber seal rather than pulling it out. A quarter inch nylon cord and plenty of soap or your preferred lubricant is the way to go. Having watched the guy and hopefully learned a few things I might do it myself again, but then again they will do it for you pretty cheap, and if you buy the glass from them they will pay for it if they break it.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Because I didn't know any better I mounted mine off the car. I did measure the spaces to make sure that it would fit. A bit of a pain to do by myself. Did not have any problems. Looks great on the car no matter what kind of soup you have, heh.................

Tinkerman!

OP
sqbsprite

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
So today I finally installed the windshield. I did it by myself. I know it is a pain, but I never trust someone else pushing on the glass with me not knowing how hard they are pressing. My method was to put the rubber on the glass and install the trim strip. I put a few strips of tape over the edge to hold the rubber on the glass as I went around installing the trim. It went in easily with no tools. I used a 5/32 poly rope in the frame channel. I had to use some nylon trim tools to help stuff the rope in. After the rope was in, I applied liquid KY lubricant all around the channel with the rope. Next, with the frame off the car and on saw horses, I installed the bottom first around the bottom corners. This required several manipulations of the frame and glass so I could press the seal vertically into the frame. Then I installed the cowl seal on the frame and set it on the car. I did not bolt the frame on because it is a pretty tight fit just with the corner rods through the cowl. Besides, it takes a lot of back and forth tightening the bolts to get the frame on and the seal pressed flat against the cowl. I did not want to do all that with glass only half in. After that, it was just more pulling the rope while pushing on the seal and glass. There was never a time when I felt the glass was in a bind. If you can tell that the ribbed part of the seal is fitting into the frame, the inner lip just has to be pulled over the frame. It did not require any hard pushing on the glass. I am going to wait a few days for it to adjust itself and for the water based lube to dry, then apply some sealer.

Was it hard? Yes. It took me about 4 hours working at a comfortable pace and taking breaks. It's hard on your hands. A lot of squeezing and pushing the rubber in place. So if time is money, it would be cheaper to hire it done, but I don't usually pay anyone for something I can do myself.

Last edited:

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Glad it all worked out, you have the secret to working on anything, patience.

Wayne