• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New TR3A Member

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
TR on trailer 2015.jpgHello All

I am David from Macon Georgia.

This is not my first TR. I drove a 1955 TR2 in 1968. That one got totaled in a rear end crash.(I was rear ended) I got another TR2 a 1956 or 7 and drove that to 1974. I kept the totaled car for parts and the rebuilt motor. It finally went to be scrapped. Oh for a time machine. The car was crushed with a full set of gauges and some other useable parts.

About 6 years ago I was put in contact with someone who had taken a TR3A apart in the late 1990s to do a frame off rebuild. He got it all apart and did a bit of restoration work but then seemed to quit working on it.
There are a lot of random parts that he bought from the Roadster Factory in 2000.
His son finally decided to let it go last October and I drove to North Carolina to collect the car. I had only seen photos so I was a bit unsure what I was getting.
Overall I think that I have a very sound car to work on with a few body work areas that I will have to re work. When I got home with the car I was looking it over, the body was sitting on the frame so I tried to fit the doors. The passenger side fits kind of ok but the driver side will not fit in the gap. The "A" and "B" post are too close together. The PO had replaced the floor panels, sills and rocker panels. When I get to that stage looks like I will need to do a bit of un welding and resize the door gap. Along with some other rework. I do not want to start out with fiberglass in the body work. I notice some fiberglass between the new floor and the side panels.

I have reassembled the front suspension and the rear axle. Having replaced all the brake components in the rear axle. Added new brake pipes.

I am starting on the motor. Got the head off this evening and so far the bores look really good. No scoring or wear at first glance. Even if I do not replace the liners I will replace the Fig. of 8 seals and do new rings.
I will check the main bearings and big ends bearings. Replace the bearings if the journals check out and do the rear oil seal mod.

This Forum seems to be a great source of information and help. I have been looking at a series of you tube videos done I notice by one of the Forum members. Thank You Tush. They have been a great help to me deciding if I can do this.

I am missing a few parts and I am sure other missing parts will become obvious later in the rebuild. At the moment the biggest thing is the steering wheel. Looking on ebay for a good one also I would like to find a starting handle. Always found it handy on my old car.

David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hi David, welcome to the asylum.

Perhaps you know already, there are two different rear seal conversions on the market. The "Mad Marx" version is far superior, IMO, in part because it does not require the crankshaft to be modified. It also keeps the original scroll seal functional; so you do need the centering tool to go with it.

Note that the hand crank is different for the later cars; be sure you get the right one. Ebay sellers often pretend they don't know one car from another. (My favorite is still the seller who promised that the disc brake rotors he was selling would fit my TR2.)

OP
D

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hello Randall

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

I had heard there were a couple of seal manufacturers but not heard about the "Mad Marx" version.

There is a guy selling TR parts on Craigs list in California. He has a starting handle. I have asked for photos so I can check it out.

What is different on later cars? Bearing location?

David

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Here's some more information on the seal, a source
https://www.the-vintage-racer.com/index.php/categoryhome/engine-components/product/53-vsk-t34
and instructions
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2H2NJt34OffdUxfdUN3cGFKUFk

Hopefully someone else can provide more info on the hand cranks; I just know there are at least two and probably 3 variations. Ironically, in 40+ years of TR ownership, I've never had a working hand crank :smile:

Here's a couple of photos that were posted by Geo Hahn at one time or another
crank-long%20-%20Geo%20Hahn.jpg~original

crank-short%20-%20Geo%20Hahn.jpg~original