• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1960 BT7 choke location

ah60_68

Freshman Member
I have a 1960 BT7-- car #2229-- that has the choke located under the dash near the steering column. From looking at the Moss catalog, mine looks like a BN7 setup. The mounting looks factory. However, there is a hole covered with a chrome disk where the choke is located on all of the BT7s that I have seen. I tried to find a cable replacement in the Moss catalog but nothing matched my car number. The choke works just fine but seems to be in the wrong location. I would like to fix the location if current location is not correct. Where can I look for this info. Thanks

D

Duane_Rhynard

I have a 1960 BT7-- car #2229-- that has the choke located under the dash near the steering column. From looking at the Moss catalog, mine looks like a BN7 setup. The mounting looks factory. However, there is a hole covered with a chrome disk where the choke is located on all of the BT7s that I have seen. I tried to find a cable replacement in the Moss catalog but nothing matched my car number. The choke works just fine but seems to be in the wrong location. I would like to fix the location if current location is not correct. Where can I look for this info. Thanks

According to the "Book" (Original Austin-Healey - Anders Ditler Clausager), the choke controls were under the dash until BT7/2194, Engine 29D/2864 (July 1959) when they installed thermoelectric chokes instead of a manual chokes, until BT7/5310 (November 1959) where the manual choke was re-introduced. The re-introduced manual choke control were then installed on the "Main Facia Panel".

Thanks,
Duane

OP
A

ah60_68

Freshman Member
Thanks...My Heritage trust Certificate that I got with the car list the following--car/chassis number:H-BT7-L-2229 Engine number29D-RU-H/2648 Body number2223(these numbers match the numbers on the car) built 23 june 1959. So, the engine number(unless the RU-H makes the engine a later model than 29D/2864) and build date should fit the time for an under the dash choke but the car number does not. I guess I will have to get the "book" and do a little more research. Thanks for your time. You can tell I am pretty new to all of the details. Going to Amazon for the book... Thanks...Joe

D

Duane_Rhynard

Joe,

I think you are the most original to leave the choke under that dash, since your chassis number is during the thermoelectric choke phase, and you probably don't want to go down that road. Your choke cable was definitely not installed in the dash as that did not start until much later in the manufacturing sequence. Additionally, not all the engines were necessarily matched with the car bodies in sequence, so the engine/chassis discrepancy may not mean much. The Concours committees have found exceptions to his dates and change points. If you are not a member of one of the national clubs (USA or America) I'd suggest you join, well worth the annual fee in my opinion. (Links below)

https://healey.org/

https://www.healeyclub.org/

Thanks,
Duane

P.S. Keep the questions coming, you will find many knowledgeable helpful Healey folks here!

OP
A

ah60_68

Freshman Member
Thanks....I am a member of the Healey club in Atlanta and the national. The members have been most helpful. I have been reading about the thermoelectric chokes and I am glad that I do not have them....Now, what to put in the dash hole that looks like it should be there? Thanks again Joe

D

Duane_Rhynard

Thanks....I am a member of the Healey club in Atlanta and the national. The members have been most helpful. I have been reading about the thermoelectric chokes and I am glad that I do not have them....Now, what to put in the dash hole that looks like it should be there? Thanks again Joe

Joe,

Well, there is always this! https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Land-Rov...Genuine-Lucas-RTC430-Dash-Panel-/272019177938

ejector.jpg

Now on the serious side, how about a factory option Lucas reversing lamp (L494) and Lucas illuminating switch (56SA)? The size of the switch would fit the spot nicely. These were factory options (See list below), and were also installed by dealers.

Lucas L494
reverse light.jpg

Lucas 56SA Illuminated Switch
switch.jpg

Options List
list.jpg

Thanks,
Duane

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My very early 3000 sold to me in April 1959 had the choke under the dash. I only wish I had recorded the S/N way back when as that car was a real transition car from 100/6 to 3000 production. Bob c

D

Duane_Rhynard

Thanks....this answers another question...did the early Healey's have a cigarette lighters...

They were an option as shown above for $7.00 installed! They were fitted in various locations, here is one on an early 100-Six.

22548.jpg