• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

and the saga continues....

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
In the process of learning about my newly acquired 1969 Series 2 XKE Roadster I've discovered something rather "unusual" about the motif bar that is mounted in the front of my car. Since my car came to me without the motif mounted inside this bar I figured I would make an easy installation of one that I purchased from Terry's Jaguar. However when I tried I discovered that it simply would not fit. Specifically it was a little too wide and way too short. (?)
I've verified that this is the correct oval shape and size for my car and that it fits correctly in the aftermarket motif bars sold by both Terry's Jaguar and XKs Unlimited.

So....what the heck kind of motif bar do I have mounted on my car?????? It sure looks exactly like all the others but that opening is clearly the wrong size.

I'm attaching a picture that illustrates the mismatch..

If there is anyone on this forum that might have a clue to help me (a) solve this mystery and/or (b) know where to get a motif that fits it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Chet

Attachments

• IMG_1278.jpg
    IMG_1278.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 74

JohnCarey

Freshman Member
Chet,
That's odd - I haven't heard of this particular issue before, but I suppose anything's possible. I'd use something to place behind it - shape a pices fo black plasctic perhaps and mount it as original with the clip on the back or glue them together to use the new backing to fill out the gaps.

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for your quick reply John. Unfortunately the way the motif and its mounting is made I can't really easily add anything to it and I'd be concerned that it would look....well....odd..

Still hoping someone out there has had a similar experience - or perhaps I've got that "one-off experimental and now extremely valuable" Jaguar XKE series 2 motif bar!!

Barrett Jackson....?? :smile:

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
That is not the correct emblem for that car. It is newer than your model. Check with SNG or Vintagecarparts.com and send the measurements of your opening. Also include VIN # to verify car. Possibility of a different bar installed on car in the past.

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Larry,

I've checked with SNG and there are only two versions of the motif bar - one for a round motif in the Series 1 and one with an oval motif in the Series 2. SNG has no idea what I have in my car other than it's not the correct size opening...

I've also emailed vintage car parts as you suggested and waiting on a reply.

I've decided to take my motif bar off and see if there's any way to correct the size of the opening. If not then I will either bite the bullet for a new motif bar or decide that I really like the way it looks without the motif :smile:

Chet

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
I measured a round motif that I had laying around for years. I think for XKE, 4cm across or 1 9/16". Hope this helps.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Ok..... I just took the liberty to look your series II motif up at Terry's jag parts... They list a motif backing plate part # BD- 28518. And a Motif clip part number BD- 28519. Jagsales@terrys.com. Ph # 800-447-4587. Hope this helps you.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I also have a S2 OTS and here are a few pics of mine. The emblem does not really match the opening... IOW, yours may possibly be fine if mounted correctly:

Motif%201_zpsmtnjhrof.jpg

Motif%202_zpsrjne1nii.jpg

Motif%203_zpscu5g2tnq.jpg

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks Geo - your motif bar exactly matches mine. I think there was an undocumented variation in that part during production as I've looked at other 1969 Series 2s and their motif bar openings are a perfect match for the (current) aftermarket motif that is being sold - no space around the top and bottom.

So...that being said I've decided to bite the bullet and order a replacement motif bar from Terry's Jaguar Parts. Once it arrives I'll post pictures of the differences between the two bars here.

Thanks everyone for your comments and help!

Chet

OP
C

Chet Zerlin

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
As promised here is my update now that I've received and installed the motif bar from Terry's Jaguar Parts.
First, there is clearly a big difference between these two bars (old bar is on the top):
IMG_1346.JPGIMG_1347.JPG

The motif fits perfectly in the new motif bar:
IMG_1348.JPG

While I was waiting for the new motif bar to arrive I did a quick search on xkedata.com and looked at photos of cars with VIN numbers a little higher and a little lower than mine. What I found verified that my original motif bar is shared with other cars and did in fact accept a different (and larger) motif than the vast majority of other Series 2 cars:
1R9667.jpg
For example, compare the size of the motif in the above picture of 1R9711 with the motif in the picture below of 1R9701:
1R9701.jpg

I found a number of other examples of the larger motif so at least I can now answer my own question of "what the heck size motif bar do I have mounted in my car?" :smile:

Hope this information is of use to others. Unfortunately I've not found anyone that manufactures a motif that fits the larger opening...

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Chet

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Unfortunately I've not found anyone that manufactures a motif that fits the larger opening...

And possibly jaguar didn't either. IOW, it seems to me they used the same emblem in both the big roundish and small ovalish openings. Hard to tell in that 4th photo - clearly the rounder opening but possibly the same emblem.

The repro does look better.