• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Basket weave dash on TR3 ???? When

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Our club is working on a TR3 owned by the local car museum. The dash is covered with a basket weave pattern that looks like a ugly tan wallpaper. I thought it was PO poor choice and was going to replace it with vinyl. But, one of our members said one year the factory made 1000 cars with that pattern. He thought they had matching door panels also. He also said the dash underneath the weave was aluminum instead of steel. This dash is steel according to my magnet. And, no matching door panels. Any of you ever know of these special cars? This car is a 1957.

Jerry

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yep rare indeed. From the TR3 "Bible", Original TR2/3/3A, by Bill Piggott:

Mention need to be made of the rare 'wicker' or 'metric' trim material used on some very early TR2s, and again on some of the first 2000 or so TR3s. This was a Vynide-type material with a curious cross-hatched pattern in relief... It is unknown how many cars were so fitted for how long it was available, and if it could be specified or 'just came' whether or not the buyer required it. Certainly it was not in the options list, nor is it referred to in the Parts catalogues or manuals - but cars thus trimmed were definitely built. It always seems to have come in a creamy-buff colour, described in factory build records somewhat inaccurately as 'grey'.

Don't think any dashes were aluminum.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Although the production number is far more reliable than a year, 1957 would be probably be a bit late for this to be one of the first 2000 TR3s. The aluminum dash is also at the very least questionable. A build record for this car would be interesting and informative. One would think the museum would have it.
Tom

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Vin is TS 16488, The California Auto Museum does not have any money to buy an Heritage certificate, or even change the oil in the car. That is why the club (UBSCC) adopted the car. I will post a picture of the dash in an hour or so. For us in the US, the color of the weave would be "cream". The interior of the car is black, may have been replaced as it is in good shape. dashTR2.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The '57 that I owned several years back was TS16162. According to the build sheet, it was born with beige paint, blue leather interior and a white top. When I got it, the leftover interior pieces were stone (beige) vinyl. All this is to say that back then changes were sometimes made at dealers for customers. And as Piggott said in his book, it's unknown how long the option was available.

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The number indicates a 57 small mouth. That being said, the seats are not correct. So, what else?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
The number indicates a 57 small mouth. That being said, the seats are not correct. So, what else?

Good catch! Those are later seats, at least the pads and covers.

OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
There is a lot wrong with this car. Not a good example for the museum but our club can't fix the bad paint, and misc holes in the floorboard. It looks like the original color was olive green? This BRG currently on the car is very blue, and the color was not painted in the engine compartment or under the fenders. The good news is that the museum plans to drive the car to shows and parades to advertise for the museum. So a little good news for British cars.
Jerry

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I almost purchased a 55 TR2 that had the wicker interior. I have a small piece of it that I took off the car. It's hard to tell with the picture not being a close up but it does not look like the interior I saw.

I tried to post a picture but I'm having trouble with that sorry.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Maybe 10 years ago one sold on EBay out of I think D.C. ; the Car was in excellent condition and very low miles like 50K with the wicker, and I think even the door panels had it.

SteveBones

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I will try to provide some info. Back in the late 90's I was at a British car show over at Stanford U. There was a 57 TR3 that had the weave dash as you describe. I asked the owner about it and he did confirm it was original. I would not be able to remember the TS number.

Also, I noticed a picture and saved a copy of a TR2 or 3 that looks to be restored with the basket weave dash. It looks like maybe, the side panels are also of the same material. Please see attached.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 7.47.44 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-12-26 at 7.47.44 PM.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 178

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I am by no means an expert on this stuff, but it is always fun to hear about something new, wasn't aware of the basket weave finish on the TR3, I think it looks pretty nice, but would love to see one close up.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
We were talking about that weave on the car today as we finished up a rally at my house. These cars has the weave on the door panels also. That would have felt pretty rough on your arm and might get discolored from the oil on your arms. So I will admit they were different, but I wonder how well they lasted. This car looks dirty, but the weave is still in pretty good shape.
Jerry

1955TR2

Freshman Member
Country flag
I realize this is a rather old thread but I'm in the process of restoring my 1955 TR2. This car came from the factory with a signal red exterior and a grey leather interior which is the color combination needed for the wicker interior. I have owned the car for 50 years and at some point prior to my ownership someone had covered the dash (except for the gauge section which left the wicker material exposed) and door panels with black vinyl but didn't glue it down which preserved the wicker material. Unfortunately the door panels are in rougher condition but I'm working to hopefully reuse the wicker door panels. Attached are a couple of pictures of the dash (I do have the glove box with the wicker material too).

I am curious of how many other TR2/3s remain that still have this wicker material in them? I have seen pictures of other cars on-line...are there any more?

Attachments

• IMG_0775.jpg
    IMG_0775.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0771.jpg
    IMG_0771.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 42

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Only a little less rare than the Tr1. ( zero) I have never seen one of these in all my shows
and events, east or west, wow!
Mad dog

1955TR2

Freshman Member
Country flag
I should have said, I've only seen pictures of three other cars on-line. I will try to take a picture today with the glove box door installed and post it here.

groupdeville

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Very early TR2s actually did have aluminum dashboards. The one I owned 45 years ago (TS460 or 480...I forget) had an alloy dashboard, boot lid, and bonnet. Wish all the sidescreen cars were that light! Mine originally had regular (non-basket weave) trim in the blackberry colour.

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Group , bet you would like to have that one back. Got to look over Ts 1 L at a TRA in Branson,Mo
years ago, I did not take a magnet to it, Parked next to it at the hotel. The body work was a little
wavy ,but the fact it survived at all was cool. Have pics some where....
Mad dog