• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Modifying stock shift surround for Datsun 5 speed

Loren C

Freshman Member
Country flag
I've been told that by shortening the stock metal shift surround it can be made to work with the Datsun transmission. What I don't know is how much it needs to be shortened to prevent it from interfering. Has anyone done this successfully and/or know how much it has to be shortened?

nomad

Yoda
Yes, I've done it but I also modified the shift lever by cutting it and rewelding the lever on the side of the cut off. This gets the lever to a more central position. I then cut all the straight side off the stock hump and rewelded that. As I remembered about an inch and a half. As i think about it now though, i scrapped the idea of running the stock rubber boot because I though it was contributing to popping the gear shift lever out of gear in one gear and now run the later lever gaitor and a homemade seal that seals out drafts right at the pivot of the lever.

Kurt.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'll wait to cut and weld mine until the transmission is in, but using an unmodified 'top hat' looks very doable.
Rut

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    47.3 KB · Views: 85
Country flag
I cut about 3/4" out of mine and carefully re-welded the shifter to center it. It still pops the rubber gaiter out of place from time to time. I'm not happy with how it turned out.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I would wait before you cut a thing until you have the 210 box in place and have shortened the shifter.
in my case I followed the instruction on cutting down and offsetting the Datsun sifter and marrying the stock one .
mine fits perfect with surround boot and shifts perfect with no modifications to the boot.
heres the shifter in neutral on my car.

image.jpg

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'll wait to cut and weld mine until the transmission is in, but using an unmodified 'top hat' looks very doable.
Rut
Totally doable if you want stock look as I did.

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
It all depends on how the cut and rewelded shifter is positioned in the sheet metal cut out. Wait until you get everything else in the install is done, and check the fit. Most likely the shifter will hit the sheet metal. Open it up accordingly....and it will be good......60Frog is happy!
Scott in CA

Last edited:

nomad

Yoda
Totally doable if you want stock look as I did.

Well the reason to cut that cover down is to keep from putting so much pressure on the shift lever. When modified it's not all that noticeable.

SD BE, I'm amazed that you don't have trouble with the stiff stock gaitor pushing the shift lever out of gear. The Datsun shift lever pivots much lower than stock.

BTW, I think I removed about the same as Trevor....memory.

Kurt.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
I agree with everyone above- when you are welding it back together the total length of the shifter should be 7 to 8" long.
There are many different shifters that go into the 210 trans and they all start out different lengths (I have had MANY of them) but they all need to be cut down to about 8" long for the Spridget, both Bugeye and later need the same length.
BillM

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
--also-
Bill Loeb had the actual shifter surround can shortened by about 1" which lowered the rubber gater and made everything work much better. He will probably post a picture here soon
BillM

OP
L

Loren C

Freshman Member
Country flag
--also-
Bill Loeb had the actual shifter surround can shortened by about 1" which lowered the rubber gater and made everything work much better. He will probably post a picture here soon
BillM

That's what I was talking about. Shortening the stick doesn't do anything to fix the interference unless it's also offset.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well the reason to cut that cover down is to keep from putting so much pressure on the shift lever. When modified it's not all that noticeable.

SD BE, I'm amazed that you don't have trouble with the stiff stock gaitor pushing the shift lever out of gear. The Datsun shift lever pivots much lower than stock.

BTW, I think I removed about the same as Trevor....memory.

Kurt.
No issues one finger shifting here .

nomad

Yoda
I guess ya'll are talking specifically about a BE, right?

BMC and Leyland kept the domed cover though the mid 60's at least. Had a 68 parts car and that may have had it as well. I believe hey kept it only covered it with the naugahyde gaitor even later.

Kurt.

gfholl

Country flag
I also increased the diameter of the hole in the shifter surround, but used a Big Healey center shift rubber gater.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
BMC and Leyland kept the domed cover though the mid 60's at least. Had a 68 parts car and that may have had it as well. I believe hey kept it only covered it with the naugahyde gaitor even later.

Kurt.

The change to a gaiter was around mid to late 1972. I had a mid-year 72 that still had the can.

Last edited:
Country flag
I thought it started with the face lift cars in 1970. I had a 69' parts car with the metal can, but my '70 had the vinyl boot. But these cars had already passed through several owners before I gained possession.