• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Facet pump died

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Took the car out for the first time in a while, thing drove okay for a bit, then sputtered, coughed, and died. Then it fired up, drove a bit, did the same thing. I made it home and watched the fuel pressure gauge, and it slowly dropped from 2psi, then back up, so it looks like the Facet died. Is that common with the Facet pumps? If so, I'd like to change to something reliable.

1974MGMidget

Seems like Facets are generally reliable, but even the most reliable pumps will die at some point. If you decide that it is, in fact, the pump, why not an SU pump rebuilt by Dave DuBois? I've been running one for several years now with no problem (yet!). https://userwebs.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/
Before getting the rebuilt pump, I had a minor incident that involved changing a fuel pump in an Illinois corn field. After that, I added a back up Facet in addition to the rebuilt SU. So far, haven't had to use it, but I do check it every once in a while. There seem to be several choices these days, and I'm sure you'll get some feedback on the others, like Airtex, etc. Good luck.

nomad

Yoda
I'm wondering if your fuel filter is plugged or you have an air leak before the pump. Facet's are noisy but fairly reliable. I did have one that would lean out under hard acceleration though.

Kurt.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I found a facet in stock local, so I put it in with a new filter. Its much louder than the previous one which I find odd.

dklawson

Yoda
When installing the metal cube Facet pumps, pay attention to their request that it be mounted at a 45 degree angle. The following is hearsay from another LBC owner but I have no reason to doubt it. Apparently the steel slug moved by the electromagnet in the Facet pump is prone to sticking if mounted horizontally or vertically but lasts longer when mounted as described on the installation instructions.

I have spare Facet pumps rigged with alligator clips and about 3 feet of fuel line in the boot of the Mini and our GT6. It won't take me long to bypass a dead pump and clip one of these in place should I ever have to.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
In my MGB I added a BARR brand pump (about $15) in line with the original pump and switched separately. Both pumps are flow through pumps so if either one quits the other will function correctly. Bob C

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've had my facet in for about 15 years, but I have a brand new Airtex sitting in wait.

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Had an Airtex in the last car, was nice and quiet. May change to that at some point to quiet things down. Weather is too good right now to order something and be without the car.

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Facets are excellent pumps. But debris of any kind in fuel will kill them.
if scale - rust get into them it can pound into the ball seat and they can't hold pressure.
i have run one for years with a large high surface area filter prior to the pump.

nomad

Yoda
I've got a pile of SU pumps that I'll never get around to working on. I'm sure some of them would be good with nothing more than cleaning the points. I'm wondering if anyone offers a rebuild service and might want them.

Kurt.

dklawson

Yoda
Dave will rebuild them for you. He may even offer to buy them as cores.

nomad

Yoda
Dave will rebuild them for you. He may even offer to buy them as cores.

Well, i don't think I want to dig through the snow to get to them right now but how do I get hold of Dave Dubois?

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I talked to Dave a couple of weeks ago and he is laid up with a bad shoulder for a while but is accepting work for when he is able. His phone number is 360-479-0462 and he lives in Bremerton, Wa. Have a good day!

John

tomshobby

Yoda
I mounted a Facet pump as a back-up. I also used rubber standoffs and can hardly hear it run.

stand off.jpg

1974MGMidget

Here is Dave's website, some good information there: https://userwebs.donobi.net/sufuelpumps/

Also, an MGB transmission mount (413-050) makes a good Facet mount. The two studs match the mounting holes in the pump and there is only one stud for mounting, if you already have a suitable hole somewhere. But, it may not be as compliant as the standoffs.

nomad

Yoda
Thanks for the info on Dave....i'll make a note of it.

Kurt.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
Ed
Check/fix the ground on the Facet and I will bet that it will run for years more
BillM

OP
bugedd

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I already replaced it, but the ground looked good. Maybe I'll dig it out of the recycling and hang on to it.