• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Bulkhead Blanking Plate Changeover

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Just wonder what the TS number change over was for the elimination of the bulkhead blanking plates on the TR3A.

Cheers
Tush

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
From what I've heard, it was sporadic. I don't know what the first one was built without the plate (might have been after TS60000 with the new body tooling), but they continued making a certain number with the plate until the end (except perhaps for TR3B).

I'm guessing that was because they started building bodies before knowing exactly how many of them were to be LHD. They assumed that some minimum percentage would be LHD and built them without the plate (meaning LHD only) to reduce costs, but then built some more to be ambidextrous.

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks Randall,

The reason I'm asking is that I was looking at a TS 58xxx TR3A that had no blanking plate, but had the slope floor and the channel in the trunk for the rear seal. I'm not sure if it had a dzus windscreen or screw in...wish I had checked that.

I know that my 59 3A with comm # 44836 had the blanking plate...both my post 60 TR3As don't the earliest being 64870

Cheers
Tush

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Mine - TS47905 - has no blanking plate.

Like Randall, I recall prior discussions concluding there was no specific change point.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm pretty sure the post-60K car I parted out did have one, but that was some 35 years ago and I've slept since then. And it was pretty badly wrecked on that side (floorboard almost touching the dash) so I didn't bother to save it.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I'm sure that during some restorations back in the 60s may have been put together from a hodge-podge of bits and pieces. Some cars with no blanking plate might have been used on an earlier TR3A.

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the replies guys. No, the car isn't for me :smile:

I thought what I was looking at was marriage of a front half of a post 60 000 car and a pre 60 000 rear (with sloped floor and trunk channel)since I thought (incorrectly it seems) that the blanking plate ended roughly at that change over period.

Does anyone know a changeover comm number from the dzus to screw in fasteners for the windscreen mounting?

Cheers
Tush

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Does anyone know a changeover comm number from the dzus to screw in fasteners for the windscreen mounting?
Piggott claims 60K for that one. But he also notes that even the body change did not happen in strict commission number order. Some cars before TS60K had the later body, and some after had the earlier body.

I assume you know about the raised plinths for the hood hinges (which to me is most obvious for the front half)

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...some restorations back in the 60s may have been put together from a hodge-podge of bits and pieces. Some cars with no blanking plate might have been used on an earlier TR3A.

No doubt that happens but in the case of mine (TS47905L) there is no blanking plate and also no plinths under the hinges (also windscreen Dzus). Since all are part of the scuttle/cowl assembly I am sure they are original to the car.

As I have said before - those guys were building cars, not writing history. It would no doubt amuse them to know the interest such minutia can arouse.