• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Wind shield TR3a

struik54

Freshman Member
I am from Holland and my english isn't great.
TR3a 1959 TS627xxL
have sold this car 14 years back. Was totally restored.
My softtop is "to short", hardtop also. When i place the sidescreens, there is an opening between the sidescreen and the windshield.
Conclusion: the windshield has to come backwards for 1,5 CM CM CM.
Does anyone knows the reason (see photo)
image.jpg

Country flag
Don't think the w/s is the problem. Old soft tops do shrink but post a picture of the side curtains. If they were restored as well then it sounds like they need more material around the edges or improperly installed holders on the doors.
Marv

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
How big is the opening? Even the best fit tops are very tight. You must start with the middle fasteners, and install just the middle first on both front and back. Then latch them one at a time from the middle outward. Also, the frame must not be fully erected until the top is fastened...then you can straighten the frame joints on each side.

1,5cm is about right before the top is on. It is tight enough to pull the windshield rearward that far.

If this still does not work, then the top likely shrunk, as Marv says.

OP
struik54

struik54

Freshman Member
image.jpg
The softtop was new. The sidescreens are original one (not yet restored).
The hardtop, softtop and sidescreens fit when the window comes backwards for about 12 to 15 MM.
Can someone cheq on his car the first photo in my post??? I believe thats the problem.
Already thanks for your help

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I think that measurement is correct. If anything, mine may be further forward. Here's mine (sorry could not find a metric ruler and car is on the lift with the windscreen off):

Windscreen%20set-back_zpsnpnuokvf.jpg

To fit a tight top many put the top on with 'knee' unfastened -- then once it is attached front and rear, push that 'knee' home. Other leave the rearmost bow unattached and leave it down until all is snapped on - then push it into place.

The side curtains fore & aft is adjusted by the location of the brackets on the door - their location is approximate (at least on mine where they screw into to wood) and have to be set for whatever works.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
Post 60K comm. number would likely be the bolt mounted side post instead of dzus. I measured my post 60K at 8.5 to 9.0 mm at the center of front bolt. You might try loosening the bolts to see if there is some play but I would not think .5 to 1 mm would cause much of a problem. Could the post be bent slightly. 1mm at bottom could be exaggerated at top of post. Also not sure but if you have the pre 60K post, I think they could be put on with the bolts as well, but I'm not sure the holes would be in the same place...just thinking out loud. Parts have been known to get switched, over the many years of use on these cars.

OP
struik54

struik54

Freshman Member
Geo, thanks a lot for the photo. It looks like the same as mine but i will remove my window to be 100% sure.
I have put the softtop on the car by pulling back the windshield very hard back. Have placed the sidescreens and have made these 2 photos.
image.jpg image.jpg
You can see the opening under is larger as the top (because pulling hard back the windshield

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I wish mine fit that well :smile:

Cheers
Tush

OP
struik54

struik54

Freshman Member
I have removed the windshield. Plate and stanchion fixed by 2 bolts. Is this original?
image.jpg
If it's original this way, i leave it as it is.
Maybe i am too precisly ;). (Most of you are even jalors :eek:)
one more question: can i change the position of the sidescreen brackets?

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
The bracket in the picture is original for earlier cars. Normally, the bracket is held to the side of the car with flat head screws that go through the recessed holes in your bracket, and tighten into a nut plate inside the car. I do not see those retaining screws in your picture. The early windscreen stanchion attached to the bracket with large dzeus fasteners (the 1/4 turn to lock as is used on the bonnet). The heads of these dzeus fasteners look just like the head on the chrome bolts used in later cars.

I can't tell what is holding your bracket to the car! Are the same 2 large screws in the picture...which also hold the windscreen to the bracket...all that is holding the bracket on?

If you have a newer TR3, Triumph switched to a design where the windscreen bolted directly to the car with NO bracket. Either you have an older car, in which the bracket is not mounted correctly, OR someone tried to mount an older windscreen on a newer style car that should not need the bracket.

If you have a newer car, the large bolts shown in your picture would bolt through the windscreen stanchions directly into the scuttle of the car. The newer design also used different stanchions...although I used an earlier stanchion on my car for 2 years until I found the proper one. The older stanchion leaves a gap between it and the scuttle at the upper center.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
That looks off to me. Is the bracket being held on by those two bolts? On the early version that bracket is held on by three flat head screws then the post slides in and is held on by two dzus fasteners that are short and slotted like the ones on your side curtain. There does not appear to be holes where the flat head screws would go. It looks like the early post and brackets are being used in place of the late post, but with the screws from the late post. The late set up did not have the brackets. Only the post bolted directly to the bulkhead, which I indicated in my prior comment. If that bracket comes off when you remove the two screws shown in your photo, it is wrong. Looks like everybody is seeing what I'm talking about now.

Country flag
Yep, older style w/s being used on later tub. Didn't think there was any difference in angle of stanchions but maybe so. Didn't think that was a bad side curation fit either.

OP
struik54

struik54

Freshman Member
I have to read your last posts several times to understand. ITS getting complicated for me.
The bracket and windshield Is hold to the car by these 2 bolts.

image.jpg

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Your car, then, has an older bracket installed. It will work, but it is not as the factory did it.

PM me if you decide you want the newer brackets and can't find them in your country...I happen to have many sitting around, and I don't mind shipping them to you.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I don't thing there was a difference in the "angle" or even in the outward appearance of the post. The difference is in the "slide groove" on the inside where it mounts to the bracket. I'm relatively sure you can just use your post with only the bolts..no bracket.. which will probably leave a little more play and get them lined up right. I think even the bolt on post were varied from slotted to almost solid on the inside. I've personally seen at least 4 variations. I would try to just bolt your post directly without the brackets and see how that works for you. But, as others have said...your fit doesn't look bad to me either....for a Triumph.

OP
struik54

struik54

Freshman Member
Thanks John for your offer but look what i have done.
I toke away the doorpanel and saw there are 4 other holes for the bracket. I screw the bracket in those holes and look how it fits.
image.jpgimage.jpg
No, i did not brake the window on the right photo. I Will buy a new one because it was broken already.
Thanks for all your help. I needed it.
btw this forum is :encouragement: SUPER