Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122

Thread: Richmond VA 1960 Bugeye Bringing Miss Eva back to life.

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Richmond VA 1960 Bugeye Bringing Miss Eva back to life.

I have been tied up on another project so I am ready to get back on Miss Eva.

Using the Speed Hut Gauges the Water Temperature sending unit would not screw into the Whitworth Threads in the Cylinder Head or Cross Flow Radiator.
    I was able to get the adapter from Moss that is suggested to be used instead of screwing it directly into the head.

We were able to tap the adapter since the standard threads were very close to the Whitworth. The Tap was not able to go in as deep as I would have liked; however, with the low pressure it should hold the sending unit without leaking.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I installed a Oil Filter Spin On Conversion Kit. I finally broke down and bought the kit as I could never locate the Oil Pipe to the spin on Filter Head I found.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am still working out the brass fittings for the Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge for under the Bonnet and the electric Oil Pressure sending unit for the Dash.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

SS Exhaust Installation

I used the Falcon SS Exhaust from England.

I used hangers and U bolt exhaust clamps from an Auto Parts Store to complete the system.
    The Rubber Washers from Moss and the distance tube for the Muffler made for a neat installation.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very impressive!

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Small steps but moving forward.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Detour.

I am back on the project BE. I had to walk away as sometimes I am so close to a project, I am blinded as to the solutions I need or what is my real problem. Electrical is always my stumbling block. I was changing things so much a stock wiring harness was not really a good option. In the end, most of my electrical issues are always grounding issues. New paint = bad grounds. You can never have too many grounds. So my issue was my battery disconnect switch. There cannot be many things installed that are that simple. This is the short version of the story. It should be properly wired into the ground side of the battery. Voltage was still leaking as I could still have lights etc... with the switch off.

I read up on the internet bible and while there are more people that say to wire on the negative side, there are others that push wiring the cut off on the positive side of the battery.
    Here is one justification.
    If the charging system is properly grounded, and the ground of the battery is disconnected, and the engine is running, then the alternator is still supporting the ignition.
    The end result could be terrible...the engine continues to run...fuel is still being pumped...oil pressure is maintained (and possibly leaking or spraying all over....and the wheels might still be driven.
    The only safe system I can think of is to remove the positive in such a way as to kill the ignition.
    It would require a 2 section switch....one to the main bus...and the other to the ignition circuit.
    Bob

See the little lead off the battery. I had this connected to the ground wire on my bonnet wiring. So this was still keeping the battery grounded and it was not being isolated. I kept looking straight past that obvious issue and voilà!
    That little wire was grounding my entire system; however, the give away was it was not allowing much of the current to flow. Dim lights, signals etc. so I still knew something was not right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    72 Posts

I've seen many a throttle cable absolutely SMOKED due to poor grounding points. That li'l wire would do the same thing if the starter were engaged without the switch connecting the battery lead.

...just a word to the wise.
    '64 MGB, '67 Lotus Elan S-3 DHC,'69 Lotus Elan +2
    '78 Alfa Romeo Spider-undergoing surgery: O=\*/=O
    '84 300D Turbo-"Diesela"-Now my Daily: Oo|≣|oO
    '02 Toyota Camry- SWMBO's 'new-to-her' Daily. <sigh>
    Chaos & Mayhem PTY, LTD..C.I.O. & Floor Sweepervisor

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lights Camera and Action

On my dash I now have operating:
    Turn Indicators
    Programable Fuel Gauge with low fuel light
    High Beam Indicator
    GPS Speedometer
    Dimmer Switch

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Progress ever forward. Bugsy’s Wiring Harness is the next challenge after sorting the wiper linkage. Keep at it and you will get there.
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - 10/12 Painting done, reassembly, cutting, and buffing in progress.