Thread: Fuel pump for 10 CC motor.

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fuel pump for 10 CC motor.

My 61 Sprite was totally disassembled when I got it and it came with a 10CCDaH13730 motor. There is no provision on the block for a mechanical fuel pump so where were the electrical pumps mounted in these cars. The fuel line was attached to the car and it is continuous all the way from the fuel tank to the engine bay. My other LBC's have their electrical pumps mounted near the fuel tank. I don't know if this engine was ever used in the car. In my parts there is a 7 1/4" diameter clutch. I have a rib case and smooth case trannys. Is this the clutch I should use if I want to use the rib case with the 10 CC motor? Thanks for your help and have a good day!

John

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Re: Fuel pump for 10 CC motor.

Fuel Pump mounts on bulkhead in front of RR Tire. Good spot to mount it. Holes may already be there. You'll need power wire back there to power. And Ground as well depending on if you set up Positive or Negative Ground. 61's were Positive Ground from the factory.
    Jim Gruber - Apollo Beach, FL
    Bugsy I - '68 Sprite w BE Bonnet - Gone but not forgotten
    Bugsy IV - '60 Bugeye - 1,275+.040 and a 5-Speed - CA Car - 2nd Owner from new - 10/12 Painting done, reassembly, cutting, and buffing in progress.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on the serial number of your car, but a '61 (HAN6) would have had a 948/smoothcase installed. The first 1098 was September/October '62 (HAN7), but was still the small main crank like the 948, but would have had the larger diameter clutch, on the small main flywheel. The 1st 10CC engine was January '64 (HAN8) .

The ribcase was introduced in conjunction to the small main 1098. While the large main 1098 uses a different flywheel, it also uses the 7.25" clutch.
    Gerard
    http://gerardsgarage.com/
    1960 Bugeye Vintage Racer #50
    1960 Bugeye (partially restored)
    1960 Morris Minor Pickup
    1964 Morris Minor 4 dr Saloon
    1970 Austin Mini (for sale)
    1946 Austin 10

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Gerard,
    My vin is HAN6L6788 so it is an early car. What size flywheel should I be looking for to make this combination work?. Looking at the books I have, the vin numbers indicate over 122000 sprites and about 154000 Midgets were built. Is this correct? Thanks for your help and have a good day!

John

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by John_Progess View Post
    Gerard,
    My vin is HAN6L6788 so it is an early car. What size flywheel should I be looking for to make this combination work?. Looking at the books I have, the vin numbers indicate over 122000 sprites and about 154000 Midgets were built. Is this correct? Thanks for your help and have a good day!

John
    HAN6L6788 would be a September '61 build. The two 1098 flywheels are not interchangeable as the bolt circle and the concentric center opening in the flywheel are different. You need a 10CC flywheel for a 10CC engine. The bolt circle for the 2" main crank is approximately 2.75" The crankshaft bolt pattern for a 948 and 10CG 1098 are the same, but the drilling for the clutch is different. The 948 clutch is 6.25", while the 1098 is 7.25", so there is no mistaking the clutch bolt circle.

I have production numbers for early cars on my web site. There is a separate listing for Bugeyes. These should be the same as Horler indicates.

https://gerardsgarage.com/Garage/Tec...ctionII2WS.htm
    Gerard
    http://gerardsgarage.com/
    1960 Bugeye Vintage Racer #50
    1960 Bugeye (partially restored)
    1960 Morris Minor Pickup
    1964 Morris Minor 4 dr Saloon
    1970 Austin Mini (for sale)
    1946 Austin 10

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My brother mounted the fuel pump up front when the motor was first changed to a 1098. Thought it would work fine as the 948 mechanical was just below it on the block. It still resides in the same spot 43-45 years later. Easy to get to for sure......
    Attached Images Attached Images
    leecreek
    '61 BugEye
    L.A. To Caswell, Me. and back in '74. 1000 miles stuck in third gear.
    Lake of the Ozarks 2008
    Hurricane Irene Survivor 2011

Yoda
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by leecreek View Post
    My brother mounted the fuel pump up front when the motor was first changed to a 1098. Thought it would work fine as the 948 mechanical was just below it on the block. It still resides in the same spot 43-45 years later. Easy to get to for sure......
    If you can get that kind of life out of a SU pump then you must be doing thing's right!!

Kurt
    65,66 Midget
    57 Berkeley, MGA
    Working on quality rather than quantity