• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Battery Recommendation

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
Greetings!

I have been wondering about what battery to buy for my 1959 TR3 and curious if there's any recommendations from LBC experts. I think the question is very subjective as far brands and all of that so I am more interested in what size and type I should consider. I have converted my TR to a negative ground and I am will use halogen lamps, LED lights where ever I can, and afford, plus install a modern radio and sound system eventually. I think the look of the battery is somewhat important but not real critical, I am not a super fan of the new modern design I have seen since they have such a strong "modern" look to them (no offense ment if you have one in your LBC :congratulatory:smile:. Performance and longevity are the most important factors I am guessing, holding a charge for long periods of non operation etc. The next follow-up question is where to purchase is also something I'd like to know if there's a better option. Thanks!

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Basic Walmart group 24 here that I took the stickers off. It would look better without the handle but I use it.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
A group 27 will fit the box and provide enough cranking amps. A 27 F is the same but with the terminals reversed but I don't think that matters much with the TR3. The original battery, from my unreliable memory, had the posts toward the firewall.
Don't count on a big battery to handle halogen lights and other electrical loads, that's the job of the generator.
Tom

Last edited:

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I go to Sears they have a wide verity and I buy a big heavy one; it is all about the lead in those old styles. Plus Their guarantee is great.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I'm happy with my Costco (Interstate) battery and Battery Tender â„¢
trickle charger... 1st battery lasted 8 years.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
[QUOTE
Don't count on a big battery lights handle to halogen lights and other electrical loads, that's the job of the generator.
Tom[/QUOTE
A generator has a limited output . If you want to run and the key word here is "run" high powered equipment you should consider an alternator. I use a group 24 hold up very well over long periods of non use. I use Sears batteries. I buy the better models. I subscribe that in most cases you get what you pay for. If you buy the cheap model over the more expensive one you are likely getting a "cheaper" product as well.
Charley

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I'm happy with my Costco (Interstate) battery and Battery Tender â„¢
trickle charger... 1st battery lasted 8 years.
The great thing about Costco is their guarantee. They don't prorate like almost everyone else does (including Sears). I returned a battery to Costco earlier this year that had only lasted 4 years (in a non-LBC that had other problems) and they gave me 100% credit towards a new battery. All it cost me was $5 because the core charge went up during the 4 years.

By contrast, the last time I took a battery back to Sears because it didn't last through the warranty period, the replacement actually cost more than the original battery did! I bought the original battery on sale. They pro-rated from the sale price, but would only apply that to the list price for the new battery. So I paid some $60 originally for a 72 month year battery that only lasted 4 years, and they gave me $20 off on a new battery for $85. So I paid $65 for the warranty replacement on a $60 battery! Last battery I ever bought from them.

O'Reillys was even worse, they currently offer only a 2 year warranty on batteries and tried to refuse to honor the 72 month warranty on the last battery I bought from them. I had to get the manager and point out that the warranty terms were printed right on the battery before they would give me any adjustment at all.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The great thing about Costco is their guarantee.

Yep, Sears played games with me, too, and I haven't been back in over 20 years. Had a Saab that was very hard on batteries, needing replacement every 2 - 2.5 years, and received good service from Costco every time; no questions asked.

Last time I replaced the daily driver battery, Costco had switched from Johnson Control to Interstate batteries...