Thread: Anyone have experience with the Pertronix Ignitor III?

Discussions of MG Sports Cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Anyone have experience with the Pertronix Ignitor III?

As the points I love are getting harder and harder to find I was wondering if anyone has experience with the new Ignitor III for a 25D?

One time a mechanic tried to fit the original version to my car and couldn't get it to work. On all the runs I've been on the only cars that dropped dead all had electronic ignition. Of course all modern cars have this but we're doing retro fits.

I was warned that with the III I would have to get a Flamethrower III coil due to low impedance and heavier demand.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Anyone have experience with the Pertronix Ignitor III?

I ran one in Snoopy (72 spridget) for years and it solved starting issues. put one in the jag but on installing it found the distributer body had holes so I had to replace the whole distributer, so no real good data there.
    its a sobering thought that when Motzart was my age he had been dead for 12 years.
    Shaggy 70 Spridget
    Kitty 67 Jag MK2
    Folly 70 MGB-GT
    welly 95 Jag XJ

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have had an Ignitor II on my B GT for several years. No issues; starts on the key every time. I use the stock Lucas coil.

You should be able use any coil with the Pertronix III if the impedance is greater than 0.32 ohms.
    Jack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

The Pertronix III comes with a warning that you have to use resistor plug wire to prevent electromagnetic interference problems, and from what I've heard, that's for real.

Frankly, I wonder if the advantages of that unit, compared to the original Ignitor, are significant for our cars. I doubt that you'd be able to tell the difference. As for reliability, electronic components at their worst are better than mechanical or electromechanical ones at their best. Virtually all of the ignition problems I deal with involve points, not electronic ignitions.

Also, remember that Pertronix is not the best or only option. There are lots of electronic ignition systems available. I use a 123Ignition distributor in my Porsche 912, and I like it a lot. I used a Crane in my Bugeye, and it was fine.
    Steve Maas
    1966 Triumph TR4A, undergoing restoration: http://www.nonlintec.com/tr4a
    1952 MG TD, restoration completed 2014, sold 2016: http://www.nonlintec.com/mgtd
    1960 Austin-Healey "Bugeye" Sprite, sold 2010: http://www.nonlintec.com/sprite
    1967 Porsche 912: http://www.nonlintec.com/porsche

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was told by BPNorthwest that as long as you do not use solid core wires and get the Pertronix coil (very low resistance for multiple spark) you're fine and they sell and have a good history with them. I was never sold on Pertronix. The very first one was just jerry-rigged for the B. It was actually made for fork lifts. The II was better. The III if it has multiple spark is a compact MSD.

I was hot for the 123 but I thought that was British? Or was that the Luminar? I guess that's why I'm looking for feedback. Appreciate yours, Steve!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Another alternative would be to retain the points and use them to trigger an MSD or other such box. I have that setup in my MGC using the Streetfire version of the MSD box with a Ford E-core coil. The MGC used to be a little "lazy" when cold, but now is very responsive and starts easily with a good steady idle. I had to use a tach adapter to operate the current driven tach on that car.

Some would argue that a well tuned set of points should perform the same, but that's never been true of my particular car. The massive whack of a multiple spark across a .055" gap lights the fire far more effectively. You have to ensure the rotor, cap, and wires are up to snuff to prevent crossfires. And the points should last darn near forever since there's no longer any significant current flowing thru them and the point gap is irrelevant to its operation.
    Jack

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Very interesting. I tried MSD + the tach accessory because it wouldn't trigger my tach. Maybe I used the wrong gap on the plugs but I didn't experience a big difference. I eventually sold them.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I run a Pertronix III in my TR3A.
    initially I had problems, not with the P III, but with the accompanying flamethrower III coil.
    Of course it took me quite awhile to pin down the problem.
    the FIII coil was great for starting & offering more pep, but after it warmed up, (45 min or so) she would start missing & running rough. Went back to a Flamethrower II & no more problems ( but doesn't start as well).
    Guy
    1960 TR3A TS63684L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's incredibly interesting. BP Northwest said I would have to get a FIII to make it work. I use Lucas Sport Coils now which they said wasn't suited. It would also be incredibly disappointing as I'm reticent to go to EI. How long ago was that? I wonder if they fixed the problem or its a factor of a LBC.

That would really suck to go through all this and duplicate your finding.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by max71 View Post
    That's incredibly interesting. BP Northwest said I would have to get a FIII to make it work. I use Lucas Sport Coils now which they said wasn't suited. It would also be incredibly disappointing as I'm reticent to go to EI. How long ago was that? I wonder if they fixed the problem or its a factor of a LBC.

That would really suck to go through all this and duplicate your finding.
    Actually, I went back to my Lucas sport coil when I dumped the FIII. It worked fine. ( easier starts than the current FII, but not quite as much operating pep [can not say why]). I switched to the FII strictly to standardize to Pertronix, for better or worse. ( keeping my Lucas as trunk back up). Also switched out my cobalt wires to pertronix wires.
    This has all been in the past three or four months. I bought the PIII/FIII system from summit I think, and never circled back.
    BTW: I have a # of blog entries about the whole sordid affair, if interested, but you'll have to scroll back.

best regards,

Guy
    Guy
    1960 TR3A TS63684L

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Guy - what I was told and it makes sense is that the FIII has a very low impedance hence it can create the multiple spark of the PIII. I would really like to read your blog if you can post it. Much appreciated.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't know much about backward compatibility with the PIII. But I believe the PIII will work with most coils.
    but, on the other hand I think the Flamethrower III coil might not be compatible with earlier ignition systems, though I never tried it with my earlier pertronix ignition.

as for my blog, I just post to the one on this website ( see "Blogs") in the primary menu line at the top of this page.
    i just keep a running journal on my progress (have found it helps keep me energized for the next project!) . The blog feature here is underutilized, so my entry's are predominant.
    Guy
    1960 TR3A TS63684L