Thread: MKII Sprite Illustrations

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

MKII Sprite Illustrations

Doing some research on the MKII I came across a photo of a very pink Sprite. At first I thought it was someone's repaint of dubious taste but soon found that AH did, indeed, offer "Deep Pink" as a color choice. Well, I just couldn't let that pass by without seeing what it might look like as an illustration. Once I got going, I decided to dress it up a bit with some spline drive Mini-Lites, a Raydyot mirror and wood rimmed steering wheel. I also took the occasion to pen in Austin Healey's factory only version of the hardtop. Once you get past all of the pink inferences—Pepto Bismol, bubble gum and the like—I actually kind of like it. What do you think?

Second image is actually a customer's car, also very nice but not very pink.

If "Deep Pink" isn't your thing, the MKII illustration is available in your choice of factory exterior and interior colors with a variety of both factory and period accessories so you can customize your print. More information and order form is here.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Limited Edition Prints • Vintage Decals • Vintage Race Graphics

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: MKII Sprite Illustrations

Nicely done!!
    BOOMER SOONER
    '65 Austin Healey Sprite MKIII
    street ported Mazda 12a
    Motortopia
    ebay listings

Jedi Warrior
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Hy David,
    I have my copy of the Bugeye with the red hood framed. I put it on an easel last Saturday and Sunday at two different car shows. I won a trophy at both shows.
    The drawing seems to help draw people over to the car where they then have a lot of questions about the car and the drawing. I consider it my new secret weapon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Branson View Post
    Nicely done!!
    Thanks! I see you own a MKIII. If you're interested I already have the III in my portfolio. Available in any of the factory colors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 59diamond View Post
    Hy David,
    I have my copy of the Bugeye with the red hood framed. I put it on an easel last Saturday and Sunday at two different car shows. I won a trophy at both shows.
    The drawing seems to help draw people over to the car where they then have a lot of questions about the car and the drawing. I consider it my new secret weapon.
    The red hood really sets the car off. Great idea on displaying the illustration along with your car. Next show, I'd love it if you could take a picture and send it to me.

DCTownsend

Jedi Warrior
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Will Do.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi David,
    A friend on the Spridget list serve spridgets@autox.team.net sent me this link in September and I finally got to the mail (an account I only use for my Spridget). I have a 62 factory deep pink Sprite and an AH Warwick hardtop as in your illustration. Now I know my hard top needs to be bright white as the contrast is striking. I'll also order a print on your site. You are an amazing artist and I admire your work. How long did this one take and did you do it digitally or by hand then scanned in?
    Linda

62 Deep Pink Sprite

Quote Originally Posted by David Townsend View Post
    Doing some research on the MKII I came across a photo of a very pink Sprite. At first I thought it was someone's repaint of dubious taste but soon found that AH did, indeed, offer "Deep Pink" as a color choice. Well, I just couldn't let that pass by without seeing what it might look like as an illustration. Once I got going, I decided to dress it up a bit with some spline drive Mini-Lites, a Raydyot mirror and wood rimmed steering wheel. I also took the occasion to pen in Austin Healey's factory only version of the hardtop. Once you get past all of the pink inferences—Pepto Bismol, bubble gum and the like—I actually kind of like it. What do you think?

If "Deep Pink" isn't your thing, the MKII illustration is available in your choice of factory exterior and interior colors with a variety of both factory and period accessories so you can customize your print. More information and order form is here.

Freshman Member
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi David,
    A friend on the Spridget list serve spridgets@autox.team.net sent me this link in September and I finally got to the mail (an account I only use for my Spridget). I have a 62 factory deep pink Sprite and an AH Warwick hardtop as in your illustration. Now I know my hard top needs to be bright white as the contrast is striking. I'll also order a print on your site. You are an amazing artist and I admire your work. How long did this one take and did you do it digitally or by hand then scanned in?
    Linda

62 Deep Pink Sprite

Quote Originally Posted by David Townsend View Post