• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A question about where to bolt into when lifting/replacing engine

2billydavies

hi everyone... me again!
So I"m pretty much ready to put the engine back in on my TR3. I have everything together pretty much except for the carbs + accessories and things. I put the head on, thermostat, water pump... pretty much everything. Putting the tranny on tonight and i'll be ready to drop it in.
It was easy pulling the engine out, I just wrapped a strap around it 3 or 4 times and lifted it right out, with some tilting, etc... But now I'm worried that just wrapping a strap around it isn't going to work or that it won't allow me to tilt it very well to get the tranny into place.

If I wanted to bolt a chain onto the block, where would I do it at? Does the head have to be off to do so so that I can utilize those head bolt holes? I hope not... I really don't want to take the head off and destroy a brand new head gasket for nothing. Where else could I do it at or does anyone have any suggestions on what worked for them?

Also... and I just noticed this, not sure why I didn't ask earlier: along the side of the engine that the fuel pump and oil filter is on there are 3 large bolts, in a row, right across the engine in the middle. I looked at the Moss parts diagrams and the manual.... it says "oil galley plug" I believe. What are these for? I took the one on the far right off just to look at... it looks like they are just plugs for I have no idea what.

Why are there oil plugs there? Also... between the middle one and the far right one (front of engine is to my left) there is also a smaller bolt, pointing almost downward. What is this for?
I can take a pic if this description doesn't work for you... I'm just curious what these are for.

Thanks!
Billy

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The oil gallery plugs are just that; they plug the ends where the galleries were originally drilled into the block. Making precision castings was difficult and expensive back then, so all the smaller passages were drilled rather than cast.

I'm not certain which other bolt you are looking at; but there are also 3 smaller "bolts" that are actually locating pins for the cam bearings.

OP
2billydavies

2billydavies

Thanks guys... the oil gallery plugs make sense now that you filled me in on the background of engine casting. I'm guessing the other smaller ones are for the cam bearings which makes sense now, too. thanks!

Geo... yes, I saw those two items in the moss magazine. I don't have those on mine... not sure if they ever were. i was thinking about ordering them this week but i was hoping for a different solution for immediate use if possible. I'm ready to go with this engine drop and didn't want to have to wait 5 more days until the pieces came in the mail! Probably should have thought about this when I placed my last order. Anyways.. thanks for the suggestions!

Vila

Jedi Hopeful
For my 62 TR4 I had the left front engine lifting eye, but it did not have the rear lift and the studs were not long enough to install one.

In the back I bolted the chain to one of the starter mounting holes and then one of the chain links slipped easily over one of the manifold studs with a washer and nut on to hold it loosely. The manifold stud had no load on it since the chain had rather long links and was only used to steady the engine.

2wrench

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
As a non-mechanic doing mechanic's work, with the help of the Forum, I do have this picture when I installed my rebuilt, but it is a '74 TR6. Seems I found threaded holes and bolted into them both forward and rearward of the engine. I think I may have been so directed at that time, but it was a long time ago.
https://s169.photobucket.com/user/2wrench/media/P1010004-32.jpg.html. Not sure TR6 anything would be a help, but I offer it in an effort to do so.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I don't know what kind of lift you are using, but the one I used had a tilt mechanism on it. It had 4 "L" shaped brackets at the end of each of the 4 chains. May be a mute point if you have already torqued your head bolts. With the head in place!!!, I used the head studs and nuts to bolt down the "L" shaped brackets,snugly to the four corners of the head. I would not recommend using the head studs without the head on, or even the bolt holes for the studs in the block to carry the weight of the engine. I'm about 90% certain that was how my old block got cracked by the DPO. There is way too much sideways force on the long studs when tilting. If you have a tool rental place you might be able to rent just the tilt mechanism. It made it a relatively easy one man job for me. But if you've torqued the head already you probably shouldn't loosen the bolts. I'm generally overkill on caution when I do that type of job. I don't like broken bones. I now have bought the two factory lift brackets, which I will install if the removal is required again. TR3's did come with them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
TR3's did come with them.
I'm still not convinced that is the case. I know the SPC lists them, but I've had several unrestored earlier cars pass through my hands, and not one of them has had the lifting eyes installed. In fact, I don't believe the rear bracket will even fit properly on earlier TR3s with the low port head.

I believe the rear lifting eye is the reason that the RR head stud (for high port heads) went from 5-3/8" in length, to 5-9/16". The eye is roughly 3/16" thick, so the extra stud length is to accommodate the extra thickness. My SPC lists both stud configurations, but gives no change point or even a description of the 5-9/16" stud (P/N 121734). However, Moss lists the 5-9/16" stud (their P/N 328-820) as only being applicable for TR3B through TR4A.

Also, the TRA judging guide mentions that the first edition of the SPC did not list the lifting eyes. TRA considers the eyes "optional" for all cars (and also notes the longer stud).

Not that it really matters, you can certainly install them if you want. But I'm not convinced the factory left them installed, at least on cars before TS60,000. (I've only had one car after TS60K, and it had been restored but still lacked the longer stud & lifting eye).

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I'll defer to Randall. I stand corrected. Some TR3's had them...Maybe. It seems, when I tried to find them in the Moss catalog, either the front,rear or both were n/a. I bought a used rear and ended up finding the front one on ebay where some individual had started making them.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I'll vouch that the rear bracket will not fit on the low port head! The Judging guide states that the lifting gear may be on the earlier cars, so I bought the lugs from Moss. Learned real quick that it is bent for the high port heads. That's not to say they couldn't have had a rear lifting eye that fit the low ports...but it, as with many parts, is NLA if it was.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I put the front lifting eye on and just left it with the motor. On the back I used a nylon strap on the trans.