Thread: Question about size of Clutch Alignment Tool

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Question about size of Clutch Alignment Tool

Hi everyone... me again.
    So I got my package with all my new parts yesterday from Moss. Almost ready to put the engine back in.
    One thing.... I ordered a clutch alignment tool from them and they either forgot to put it in the box, didn't see that I ordered it for some reason online, or I simply thought I ordered it but really didn't and I'm just trying to blameshift for my screw up (more than likely, it's the last one.)

In any case... does anyone know what size the clutch alignment tools are? I was thinking maybe they have one in the size I need at the local auto parts stores around me (probably not.... and if they do, it would be the first time ever that I found something locally for my car). Anyone know what size they are? I guess I need the teeth size. Not sure how standard they were back in the day.

thanks a ton! Any suggestions on getting around the use of one of these would be appreciated... if that's even possible.
    ~ Billy

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    129 Posts

Re: Question about size of Clutch Alignment Tool

In a pinch, I've skipped the alignment tool and just used my finger. Feel the gap between the bore through the clutch plate and the hole in the flywheel. If the gap is the same all the way around, the plate is aligned. Install the bolts just finger-tight at first, so you can tap the plate around until it's lined up; then tighten the bolts and recheck.

BTW, the tool I got from Moss years ago was so badly undersize as to be useless. I use an old input shaft instead.

The minor diameter of the hole through the friction plate is 1" nominal, but I don't recall the pilot bearing diameter offhand. `10 splines, major diameter is 1.25" nominal. (The shaft & tool are roughly .005" undersize, to allow easy movement.)
    Randall
    56 TR3 TS13571L once and future daily driver
    71 Stag LE1473L waiting engine rebuild
    71-72-73 Stag LE2013LBW waiting OD gearbox rebuild

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

awesome.... that makes sense. looks like i'm going with the finger alignment.
    thanks a ton!

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TR3driver View Post
    In a pinch, I've skipped the alignment tool and just used my finger. Feel the gap between the bore through the clutch plate and the hole in the flywheel. If the gap is the same all the way around, the plate is aligned. Install the bolts just finger-tight at first, so you can tap the plate around until it's lined up; then tighten the bolts and recheck.

BTW, the tool I got from Moss years ago was so badly undersize as to be useless. I use an old input shaft instead.

The minor diameter of the hole through the friction plate is 1" nominal, but I don't recall the pilot bearing diameter offhand. `10 splines, major diameter is 1.25" nominal. (The shaft & tool are roughly .005" undersize, to allow easy movement.)
    Pilot bush is 1/2". Also second the old input shaft but not everyone has one. I've used the finger approach too but found it quite tedious. Perhaps just don't have the right touch.
    Tom

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts

Take the disc down to your FLAPS and see what they got! I always used to just "eyeball" it but got lazy right around the time I disassembled a bad gearbox and then kept the input shaft for such occasions!
    -- Andrew (Andy) Mace, VTR's Triumph 10/Herald/Sports 6 vehicle consultant and keeper of the North American Triumph Sports 6 and Herald Database

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Local parts store should have a generic clutch alignment tool that can rented or loaned out. The plastic ones that Moss and others have will work but the old input shaft is best.

marv

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

PM me if you run into trouble...I'll send you the best pilot, an old input shaft.
    John

1955 TR2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I agree with Randall about his use of the (my term) 'Houniak Method' of using one's finger to get clutch alignment right.
    I was out in the garage the other day and noticed my old 'clutch alignment tool'.....a piece of dowel I had hammered into the clutch plate a couple inches.
    The crenelations of the clutch plate easily 'machined' the dowel and I just pressed the 'self-lathed-by-eyeball small end' of that dowel into the crank hole (as I recall, been a couple years now).

Worked great, first time. I believe store bought 'clutch alignment tools' have always been a bit over-rated. JMHO, BOE

Thom
    1959 TR3
    TS34909L(O)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    46 Posts

I haven't used the finger method since I was 15, and for good reason. It's hard enough getting the splines engaged when the disc alignment is perfect...I don't need the extra frustration of popping the clutch loose several times in the process.
    John

1955 TR2

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

One of my TR4 manuals mentions using a 6" piece of 1"dia. stock with a 2" section turned to 1/2" to fit the pilot bushing.
    Berry