• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Early BN4 Seat Covers

RichsBN4

Freshman Member
I am going to replace my seat covers on an EARLY BN4. Back in the 80’s the seat pans (but not backs) were replaced with used ones of unknown Healey year.
My question: What is the difference between EARLY BN4 seat covers compared to the late BN4’s and 3000’s.

Thanks,
Rich
57BN4

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Heres a BN4. Seat cushion base is wood, 3000 cushion bases were steel. The main difference in appearance with BN4's is the seat back piping runs around the ear of the seat instead of cutting across the ear to the back.

Attachments

• 2013-03-27 008.jpg
    2013-03-27 008.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 226
  • 2013-02-05 007.jpg
    2013-02-05 007.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 2013-03-26 033.jpg
    2013-03-26 033.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 224

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
I understand the difference between the early BN4-BN1 seat covers piping is different but physically are they the same? Will seat covers from a BN1 fit a BJ7 and vise versa?
Here is my dilemma, I ordered new seat covers and wooden seat bases for my longbridge BN4 and now realize I have the newer style metal seat bases and frames. Did I screw up and need to return everything?

Attachments

• seatframe.jpg
    seatframe.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 201

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I understand the difference between the early BN4-BN1 seat covers piping is different but physically are they the same? Will seat covers from a BN1 fit a BJ7 and vise versa?
Here is my dilemma, I ordered new seat covers and wooden seat bases for my longbridge BN4 and now realize I have the newer style metal seat bases and frames. Did I screw up and need to return everything?

I'm sure the early BN4 seat covers and wooden bases will fit in the newer metal frames. The backs are identical, but the BN4 adds a wooden tack rail to the lower back.

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I agree, they should fit. You could add the tack strip to the bottom and make them like the earlier style. The set bases are different in appearance but should still function the same. Be sure to wrap the frames in vinyl like the longbridge cars as well.
Jim

Attachments

• 2013-03-13 007.jpg
    2013-03-13 007.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 196
  • 2013-01-16 007.jpg
    2013-01-16 007.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 192

lewmac

CessnaTPA, do you have the lower profile Longbridge metal bases that the wood frames sit in, as shown in the above post by healeyblue? I believe with the later bases, the cushion just sits within the metal base, and the whole thing is covered with the leather or vinyl, without the wood frame, and then it sits within the frame shown in your post. Those tabs at the back are where the back of the metal seat base clips under and pushes back, in an attempt to keep the set base in place. This is the same approach used on Bugeyes and Mk2 Sprites / Mk1 Midgets . As healeyblue shows, the early metal pans can bolt directly to the floor on the passenger side or to the slider rails on the drivers side. On my early #750 Longbridge BN4, I had sliders on both sides and these were also mounted on cedar rails to lift off the carpet and allow the sliders to work. The seat bases were trashed so I bought later model repro seat bases and then found on eBay a good set or early metal bases as well, so need to decide which to use.
Cheers
Lew

lewmac

CessnaTPA, where did you get the wood frames from ? I think the seat covers will work for either, but you will only need the wood frame with the earlier metal bases, which are lower profile that the later metal bases. Thanks
Lew

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
CessnaTPA, where did you get the wood frames from ? I think the seat covers will work for either, but you will only need the wood frame with the earlier metal bases, which are lower profile that the later metal bases. Thanks
Lew

No I don't have the seat frames like Healey Blue. I got the wooden seat bases from Moss. I'm going to call Moss tomorrow and verify their BN1 seat kit will fit the newer metal bases. If so I will return the wooden bases and reuse the metal ones I currently have. They have a lot of surface rust but I think they will cleanup. Hindsight I shouldn't have just placed the order based on the VIN number. Thanks for the help.

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I am going to replace my seat covers on an EARLY BN4.....
My question: What is the difference between EARLY BN4 seat covers compared to the late BN4’s and 3000’s.

Thanks,
Rich
57BN4
In My restoration of one early BN4 1957 -I followed DerekJ-site photos and considerations-for the rebuild works I followed the works of BORAS shop
in this album you can find some interesting foto collect for the rebuilding
https://goo.gl/photos/GHtf9JbRWCjKZWJw6

CessnaTPA

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks guys for the feedback. I've decided to return the wooden seat bases and exchange the front seat kit for the later BN4 version since I already have the later seat frames and bases in good condition. After talking to Moss they couldn't confirm if their BN1,BN2 early BN4 seat kits would fit the newer type seat bases.
I know it's not going to look original but I don't want to replace (spend $660 more) perfectly good seat frames & bases just for minor appearance changes that 99% of people won't even notice.