• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye Windshield Install - no sweat

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I installed a new windshield in the frame this morning. I had read many threads warning of the difficulty of this procedure. While I typically seem to run into as many or more difficulties than others when I do a project, I found this to be relatively painless.

I used the windshield and gasket from Moss, and both items were high quality and perfect fit. Kudos.

I used MacGregor's frame to body seal based on what I've read on this site. Slid into the slot on the bottom of the frame with little difficulty.

To install the windshield, I placed the gasket in the frame and lubed it generously with soap solution. I placed the windshield over the frame/gasket and put the glass into the gasket along the top, bottom and upper sides with a little stretching of the frame to get the top and bottom in. Then I used the windshield stick tool (I think I got it at VB) to work the glass into the gasket from the sides down and the lower frame out, working towards the lower corners. It worked best to push the inner lip of the seal past the frame with the stick on the outside pushing in.

There is a slot in the gasket, with a filler strip that is installed after the glass is in. The slot side of the gasket goes to the interior, and allows the inner lip to bend more, giving you the clearance needed to get it past the glass. The filler slip is pushed into the slot afterwards.

Overall, fairly easy, with not surprises or particularly troublesome issues. It takes a little patience and go slow, but as BE projects go it is not one of the more difficult.

Here are some pics of the process:

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_7551.jpg
    IMG_7551.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_7553.jpg
    IMG_7553.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 581
  • IMG_7554.jpg
    IMG_7554.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 545
  • IMG_7556.jpg
    IMG_7556.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 519
  • IMG_7558.jpg
    IMG_7558.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_7561.jpg
    IMG_7561.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 522
  • IMG_7562.jpg
    IMG_7562.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_7563.jpg
    IMG_7563.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 513
  • IMG_7564.jpg
    IMG_7564.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 543

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Fantastic how-to post! Thanks. Great reference.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Fred,
You amaze me with your ability to do everything related to a Bugeye! I've used several of your 'how tos' along my Bugeye restoration journey and I thank you for that. I'm not up to the paint challenge, but I'll try most everything else.
Thanks, Rut

OP
TulsaFred

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks guys. I'm a big fan of doing it yourself, as I think that's the most rewarding aspect of this hobby. These cars are from an era of analog mechanical systems and room too work on those systems. They are intuitive to work on in a way that the modern computerized high tech vehicles are not.

Believe me, if I can do it, we all can. I'd rather have a mediocre car that resulted from my own efforts than a show car someone else did.

I say go for it!

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Great write up and how-to pics. Agreed, everything you can find on the web says "I took it to a glass shop"..this is one of the last things on my list that needed refreshed, good to see it's not a king-kong ordeal to handle!
Thanks Fred!

SD Bugeye

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The picture with the installed stick excellent saving it to simplify explanation to people on how correctly use it .
perfect!

nomad

Yoda
Spose it could be done on the car???? Screw's of the side posts are commonly corroded. I have several frames passed on by a friend and I think that most of the screws on them have been stripped.

Kurt

Joe Schlosser

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Has anyone tried using a piece of string around the whole gasket to pull it over the glass. I used this method in the 1980's on a Volvo 122. Put string inside channel with ends coming out. Glass on rubber. Pull string and rubber slides over the glass.

Rhodyspit75

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Has anyone tried using a piece of string around the whole gasket to pull it over the glass. I used this method in the 1980's on a Volvo 122. Put string inside channel with ends coming out. Glass on rubber. Pull string and rubber slides over the glass.
The Bugeye is a different fit. You put the rubber into the frame first so the string method won’t work. I did two VW windshields with a cord and it was relatively easy.