• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bought our first British car

LynnB

Freshman Member
Many years ago, I helped my older brother work on his MG's and a Triumph, but never owned a British car until April of this year.

She is a beauty, but in need of a few things mechanically. Already replaced all the track rod ends, replaced the oil pan gasket, water pump, hoses, made a bracket for the upgraded modern alternator, and had a core made for the radiator. Plan to o/n the Jack All system and just keep things maintained. Running very well right now, but still some minor brake and front end issues to address.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• March2015.1.jpg
    March2015.1.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 236
  • March2015.2.jpg
    March2015.2.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 236
  • March2015.3.jpg
    March2015.3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 231

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Wow! You really jump in with both feet don't you! Welome and congratulations. There aren't a lot of Princesses around (yes there is my daughter but that is a post for another time) where are you finding the parts?

OP
L

LynnB

Freshman Member
Thanks. We love this car. I have some pretty cool cars, but this one and the 49 Studebaker Farm truck (all original) get the most attention. When people come up and ask about the Princess, I spend most of the time just explaining what it is. I have found a few parts on ebay. I was missing a jack for the Jack All system and found one on uk ebay. Some of the lenses are identical with a few other British cars, and I found both a small amber Lucas round lens and a large red Lucas round lens on ebay. Other parts are a little pricey, but I found a couple in the UK that will ship U.S. Andy and Stephanie Fowler. They are so nice to deal with, it makes the prices easier to swallow. Can be contacted here: stephanie.fowler2@btinternet.com

As for the radiator, there is still ONE old school brass radiator shop left in the small town where I office (Edmond, OK). He tried to save my old radiator core, but it just wasn't going to be. He had saved the core on the old Studebaker, so I had high hopes. Of course, there was no standard core available, and by the time we had a custom core made up and installed, the bill exceeded $1k. OUCH. But, we have a lot of fun with this car, so considering what I have in it, I can live with that.

Guys ask me about "investing" in particular cars. I always tell them if they want an investment, invest. Forget cars. You don't have to insure, repair and maintain your mutual funds. Buy the car that you just love. If you keep it til you die, who gives a rat's arse if you made money on it. Right? Not to say I haven't hit a homer. I paid $900 for a 69 Z/28 in 1976 and still have the car. We drove it to work last week and it turned over 28,000 miles. I don't expect to do that well on the Princess, ..... but I don't care. In 1969, the Z was about $23,000 in todays dollars, (i.e. $3500). In 1963, this Princess was about $138,000 in today's dollars. Don't get me wrong, I love my Z/28 and would never sell it. It gets looks. The Princess drops jaws.

Last edited:
OP
L

LynnB

Freshman Member
I am flattered you asked. I am on several car forums and no one has ever asked for a list of my cars.
1949 Studebaker 1.5 ton 131 wheel base with working dump bed. EVERYONE loves the Studebaker. I don't dare park it out front unless I am ready to talk to everyone who comes by.
1963 Princess. Ditto what I said about the Studebaker.
1963 "Ferrari" 250 GTO. Ferrari is in quotes, because this car was hand built, tube frame that mimics the original, except it allows for a IRS instead of the factory live axle set up. Alloy body, but never finished. This is my next really big project, but still a year away from starting.
1968 El Camino, running, but still a project. Nothing special, but will replace the F150. I rarely need a real pickup (I can use the Studebaker if I need to haul a big load) but do need something to pull a trailer, and the wife says I can't put a hitch on her MB.
1969 Z/28 with 28,000 miles.
1983 Ferrari 400i (hit lightly LF, and will be parted out, using the V12 twin cam and other parts for my Ferrari project)
1983 BMW 745i, factory turbo car with well over 300k miles. Been my daily driver for years. Big bore long stroke engine modified to run 15 psi of boost instead of the 6 psi from the factory. Also, they never made a 5 speed 745i from the factory, and I hate automatics, so one of the first mods was converting to a 5 speed.
1999 Ford F150. V6 5 speed. Bought it with a bad engine for $600. The guy had just spent $700 on tires when the engine went. Installed a reman engine with 3 yr. unlimited mileage warranty. Not really a ferd guy, but this truck has performed very well, if a bit underpowered when pulling the car hauler trailer. Right now on loan to a brother, and will be sold when I get the El Camino ship shape with an OD trans.
2003 CL600 Mercedes. This is my wife's car. V12 Twin Turbo, 543 hp. Way over engineered, but does everything well. Handles almost as well as her MRoadster that it replaced. Only thing keeping it from being as good is the weight. But, when you consider how ghostly quiet this thing is on the highway, and how well it performs.... simply amazing. No freaking way would I own one of these if I couldn't fix it myself. I figure the LEAST I can do for my angel of a wife is put her in a classy car. She NEVER complains about ANYTHIING, and that includes my car hobby. She is the most genuine, kindest, most giving person I have ever met. Her mom is a close second. I am the luckiest man alive to have Sherri as my wife.

After the Ferrari project is done, assuming I am still around, we plan to add one more car. Sherri loves the look of the mid 60's Corvette roadsters. Sometimes she misses her MRoadster, just for short fun trips. However, she doesn't really like how they drive, so we plan to find a wrecked Z06, like 03 to 06 model, find a clapped out 60's Corvette (but heavens they are getting expensive, even for projects), and make one car out of two with all modern running gear. In the meantime, we have plenty to keep us busy.

Here are a couple pics of the main garage before we bought the Princess, after we bought the CL600, and before we sold the MRoadster.

Attachments

• March.1.jpg
    March.1.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 97
  • march.2.jpg
    march.2.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 96

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, that is a gorgeous Princess and quite a nice collection. I must admit to liking your Stude more than pretty much anything else you have, but I am an odd duck.

OP
L

LynnB

Freshman Member
Thanks Walter. Would like to see pictures of your 52 International. There is a very old International tucked up in a car port a block away from our home. Doesn't look like it has moved in decades.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
As requested:
attachment.php

Attachments

• 52 L110 03.jpg
    52 L110 03.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 253

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
"Very Cool. Love old trucks."

Thank you, that one was my first car.

OP
L

LynnB

Freshman Member
We got the Princess out on Sept 18. Hand washed it and she looked great. We had my daughter's wedding at the bed & breakfast across the street, and the reception here at our home. I took them to their honeymoon cottage in the Princess. My daughter even surprised me with a Chauffeur's hat! It was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, the honeymoon cottage was out in the boonies, in dirt and gravel roads, so the Princess needs a bath again!!! My wife's parent's were here the rest of the weekend, and we took them to dinner Sun evening in the Princess. Again, lots of fun.

I also got word recently from the Fowler's in England that they located the other drag link end I need. Took a few months. I have already replaced all four tie rods, and now get to do the two drag link ends and the idler arm bushing. Hopefully that takes the last of the slop out of the steering. I BELIEVE that the king pin bushings are all in decent shape, but then I have never worked on kingpin front suspension before. Will post wedding pics when they are available.

I also found a replacement for my missing jack. This car has the Jack All system that allows you to jack up all four wheels off the ground without ever exiting the car. Pretty cool. I think Citroen used the same system. I am planning to rebuild all the hydraulics and see if the electric over hydraulic pump is operable. Keeping my fingers crossed. At least all of the parts are there!

OP
L

LynnB

Freshman Member
Replacing drag ling ends and idler arm bushings. Everything came apart splendidly until I got to the last piece, a "cotter" which is actually a tapered pin pulled in with a nut on one end. I am certain it hasn't been out since 1963. I have beat on it all I dare for now, and have it soaking in penetrating oil. Any suggestions before I fubar it?

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Have you used heat in combination with your penetrating oil?

OP
L

LynnB

Freshman Member
I have not, but suspect that is where I am going. We have been out of town a couple days, and it has been soaking, so may give it one more try before applying heat. I don't have an acetylene rig here. It is at the shop 35 miles away. I may look on CL and see if there is a cheap unit for sale around here.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I have not, but suspect that is where I am going. We have been out of town a couple days, and it has been soaking, so may give it one more try before applying heat. I don't have an acetylene rig here. It is at the shop 35 miles away. I may look on CL and see if there is a cheap unit for sale around here.

I have had good luck with a simple propane torch - heat and then either spray with WD40 or throw water on it - and, especially with threads will touch a candle to it while hot and the wax wicks down. BTW we have a similar fitting on the front end of Midgets - and they typically come out destroyed. On the other hand, depending on the size, you might be able to use it as a replacement.