• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A New Seat Springs and Padding

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'm in the market to purchase new seat springs and padding for my TR3A. Prices seem to be all over the place between Moss, TRF, and VictoriaBritish. Can anyone recommend the best ones, not considering price. Years ago I purchased a set of springs and was totally dissatisfied. Don't want to repeat that mistake. Thanks.

OP
B

BobbyO

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
OK Since I can't get anyone to make a recommendation, which ones have you purchased and how do you like them?

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
I bought the ones from Moss they are fine, but they are different than stock, and I sit a little higher in the seat. TRF has the original type and I wish I bought those. The padding and stuff I get a local shop and cut it myself.

2long

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I got the TRF seat springs for my 2 because they upgraded their product to give the correct stiffness and spring arrangement. I am very happy with it. They are not cheap and going to foam is certainly an option, but if you want the real deal and the real feel, go with TRF.

Dan

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I like the TRFs stuff for the seats, springs and pads.

tedwone

Country flag
I bought springs from both Moss and TRF and would recommend the TRF springs because they closely match the original springs. I have also purchased interior kits from John Skinner in the UK and have been satisfied with everything I have gotten from them.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I drove a TR3A with the "too tall" springs and really hated it. The springs wobbled around, which made the car seem unstable. I'll definitely be going with the expensive ones from TRF.

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Randall is just getting old; he identified the Moss seats as high. I was thinking we have that Star Wars theme and everyone knows Randall is very smart and likes to be very precise, so perhaps he could be Spock and we could have a Spock award for clarity.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Uhm, not sure how to respond to that. No Spock award for me, that would be illogical.

I believe the springs in question actually came from TRF, before they went out and had springs custom made to their specification. Likely the same ones still supplied by Moss & VB, but I don't know that. Some of you may recall Fred Thomas, it was his TR3A that I drove back in 2002 or so. I believe Fred had some influence in getting TRF to improve their spring source.

Not a reference to "2 Tall" interiors; I've never had the pleasure of dealing with them.

Kleykamp

Jedi Trainee
I have the 2 tall interior seats. They use foam instead of springs. The seats look very good and ride much better than the "spring" seats. The nice thing is they will make the seats the way you want them i.e. color, piping color etc. Even though it's original, I never cared for the white piping, so opted to go with matching piping for several reasons I won't go into. Just a personal preference and mine is a weekend driver not a show car.

Country flag
I also have a set of "Too Tall" seats, very nice and comfortable. Hard to tell from originals until you look closer. Good if you don't have any seats or for driver car.

Marv

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I also went with foam (good springs were not available at the time) and liked the result. Of course my only comparison was to what the seats were like with the original (very broken and tired) springs. They sit firm and put me at a height I like. They have held up well to big me driving on them for 15 years now:

seats_zps9c98b383.jpg

A look I do not care for (but sometimes see on eBay cars) are seats that are over-stuffed to the point of being very rounded or pillowed across the seating area. I think that may happen in a misguided effort to compenasate ofr tired springs with addition padding.

PS - That thingy at the lower front is a loop of strapping to make it quick and easy to yank out the seat bottoms. You can haul some large objects in the passenger side once the seat is out.

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I too have the foam seat padding, instead of the springs. I purchased mine off ebay and unclear why they were so inexpensive. Mine actually have "incorrect" piping, unless my car was a little older. What I really like about the foam, was that I was able to remove the bottom seat cover and cut about six inches off, and re-staple the cover back on. The seat lowering is hardly noticeable by a casual observer -unless that observer actually sits in the car. Before the lowering, the top of my head was above the windshield, making it difficult to wear a cap -and impossible to drive with the top up. Lowering a seat with the springs would be much more difficult, and probably less comfortable. After lowering, I find the seat to still be comfortable. -Sure, I've sat in more comfortable seats, but I have driven this car 5,800 miles in 10 days. I can't say I was ready for more, but I enjoyed it.