• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A Velocity Channel Fantomworks TR4A

achemist

Freshman Member
Country flag
Hello everyone, Jay here. My TR4A is on the Velocity Channel Fantomworks Season 3. "Jay wants a stunning TR4A" Needless to say they took some editing liberties. They give you the impression that Dan delivered it back to me in some sort of drivable condition. I received it from him with a perfect paint job and the engine would start. He completed the front, rear suspension and body ONLY. I did all of the electrical, chrome, glass, hydraulics, fuel, and interior. Barry at British Car Service in GA did correct me on my wiring shortcomings. (Thanks)

Next project. What parts to I need to tighten up the play in my steering?

Jay

Raw body, Primer, Painted Interior as returned to me, More paint as returned, 2 weeks after returned not quite finished and parts car.

Attachments

• DSCN0612s.jpg
    DSCN0612s.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 109
  • DSCN0749b.jpg
    DSCN0749b.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 110
  • DSCN0692b.jpg
    DSCN0692b.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCN0744b.jpg
    DSCN0744b.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCN0752b.jpg
    DSCN0752b.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Next project. What parts to I need to tighten up the play in my steering?

I'd start by observing all the steering components as a helper moves the steering wheel left & right in the 'play area'.

You'll be looking to see what is moving and what is not. That steering should have very little play IMO.

Mink

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Saw that episode. I noticed that they painted the engine compartment without the front valence and headlight panel in. That seemed odd.

Foura

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Following advice from others on the forum, I replaced the rubber joints on my 4A's column with steel ones. I started with standard TR6 ones from Moss. They lasted about 3000 miles before developing play. I then fitted Borgeson universal joints. They are beautifully made but the problem is their attachment to the column. Unlike the stock ones, they do not have a clamping fix around the splines. Instead, they have a lock screw which goes into the recesses on the column where the clamp bolt goes on the standard joint. As the splines on the column are 50 years old, they are not a tight fit in the Borgeson UJs. So once again, I have play in the steering because the screw cannot keep the joint tight around the splines. In both cases, the improvement in steering feel between the steel and the rubber joints was excellent, at least until the play came back!

The next step is a pair of heavy duty standard joints which I bought from Revington. They are about twice the size of the standard ones but use the clamping method of fixing. Revington claim that they have had no reports of problems. I have been running 185 tyres for the last 15 years and have just switched to 195s. The car does very little city work so strain on the column from parking is minimal.

Hope this helps.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Hi Jay,

Welcome to the forum! Just watched that episode (have 2 TR4A's so was obviously interested).

In one of the shots as they pushed it into your garage, it looked like they had installed TR4 capping around the rear of the cockpit. Did I see that correctly (and if so why did they do that)? :smile:

Scott

OP
A

achemist

Freshman Member
Country flag
You are correct. Actually they didn't do any chrome work. I had other chrome from the parts car and liked the look and added it. Thanks for your comment. Jay

ghawk16

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I didn't see the episode, but what are your plans for the parts car? Part out eventually or restore that one as well? Doesn't look to be in all that bad of shape.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
You are correct. Actually they didn't do any chrome work. I had other chrome from the parts car and liked the look and added it.

Jay,

Have you installed your TR4A soft top as I'm pretty sure the TR4 capping would get in the way.

Regarding the steering play, follow Geo's advice. I'd start with the steering rack mounts (assuming they are still rubber). You can replace the rubber mounts with solid ones (I didn't). Move back to the steering column joints next. I replaced the lower rubber one with a TR6 metal one (along with the lower TR6 column) but left the upper one rubber like the TR6. This worked well for me.

Scott

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Nice car. I watch the show. I like Dan's attitude, I just wonder how real it all is. It's good to see these cars get some TV exposure. Fantomworks refreshed a TR6 last season. There was also the episode of Garage Squad where they repaired a TR6. May this will spark some interest for more people to get involved with these cars. I wonder what Gas Monkey garage would do with one. I'm sure it would get a V8.