• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sideshift OD tranny

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Being a Triumph TR3 owner, I usually spend all my time on that forum but a unique "opportunity" arose yesterday at a yardsale yesterday. As I was negotiating the purchase of my Triumph OD tranny, sitting next to it was what the owner said was a AH overdrive unit. I probably should have bought it then, but figured I'd still have the same opportunity on Tuesday when I go pick up the engine block I purchased.

I unfortunately didn't have the foresight to take a picture, but it seemed to be in the same decent condition as my Triumph tranny...having been sitting in the owners garage since the 80's. I know this is a tough question, but what type of value is an OD side shift Healey transmission?

Thanks,

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
What did he want for it? I'd love to have a spare.

I have to say I'm amazed that you find things like Triumph engine blocks and AH transmissions at yard sales. All I ever see around here is baby clothes.

Country flag
Bill,
i have sold them for $800 years ago and that was not guaranteed of condition. If it looks complete, tail shaft spins and shifter moves freely, anything under $500 would be a buy. Like Keith, would like to have spare. I'm out of them

marv

OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thanks for the response guys, I'll post this week if he still has it and I pick it up.

Country flag
... what type of value is an OD side shift Healey transmission?

Thanks,

Not sure what you mean by 'value,' but the early ODs were 28% (RPM) reduction (rearends, at least the one on our 100, were 4.11). Later were 22% percent, with a 3.91 rearend; not sure when the change was made, but could have been when they went to centershift.

OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, I went up tonight to get my Triumph engine block and asked if the AH OD transmission was still available because it was gone from where it was. The owner said it was and pointed me to where it was. Much to my surprise there was not one, but two, AH OD transmissions there! Long story short is I bought them both - paid a little more than I offered but still feel I got a decent deal.

Not being a Healey guy, i'm not entirely sure what I have yet but I do know They are both side shifts and both have OD. I'll try to take some pic's tomorrow and maybe some of you can help me figure I them out.

thanks

OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Attached (hopefully) is the picture of AH Gearbox 1. I've looked online and it appears to be out of a late 50's/early 60's 3000. Can anyone confirm?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0845.jpg
    IMG_0845.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 113
OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Gearbox # 2 is more of a mystery to me as I'm having a difficult time finding pictures of it on the web. As you can see, although it shifts on the side, the shift handle is straight. Any help on whether this is from an Austin Healey would be appreciated.

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0850.jpg
    IMG_0850.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 108
Country flag
First trans is 100/6 A/H trans, missing the o/d solenoid. O/D electrical sw is also broken but both pieces are availble, second trans is a mystery. Can't say I ever seen one like it. Maybe some type of British sedan trans. The overdrive unit looks like Triumph A type except for tailshaft extension. Second thought, could it be 100/4 trans. Not familair with those, all I remember is they are 3 speed trans.
marv

OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Thank you Marv - I appreciate your prompt answer. I'll keep asking around to see if anyone can id the 2nd one. Maybe my "finds" weren't such a good deal after all. Hopefully someone will buy them after I clean them up a bit.

OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I looked on the Moss site and I think you may be right about it being a 100-4 tranny - although the picture show a slight bend in the shifter.
attachment.php

Attachments

• BN1 gearbox.png
    BN1 gearbox.png
    40.3 KB · Views: 104
OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Definitely a 100-4 tranny - here is a view from a different angle. Not looking to make a killing on this, anyone have any interest?

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 99
Country flag
If you were closer I would be interested. Shipping them would be to costly to make it worthwhile to me. If the second one is indeed a 100/4 trans, you do have a deal!
marv

OP
BillyB62

BillyB62

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'd like to thank everyone for the comments, PM's and general interest as I sorted out what I had.....you Healey peeps aren't all that bad :wink-new:

I've got a few people interested in the 100-4 transmission, which is good because they tell me several parts are no longer available. I've had no interest from forum members in the 100-6 transmission so I'll probably throw it up on eBay and see how it does.

Hope to see you on the road sometimes - keep on drivin'

Bill

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The second transmission is a BN1 type. Actually a four speed but the bottom gear was blanked off for the Healey 100. As long as the second (or 'third') gear is intact it is certainly valuable.