• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Linux help needed please

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am having trouble getting Adobe Flash to work in Linux on either Firefox or Opera. Does anyone know of a way to get Flash to start working again? Thanks in advance.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Firefox has deactivated Flash a couple times recently due to security flaws found in Flash. The latest version is 11.2.202.491.Go to Adobe's Flash download page HERE It should recognize whether you're using 32 or 64 bit Linux. Then use the dropdown box to select the version you need. (Fedora uses RPMs) Once it is downloaded, click the download arrow up on the toolbar and click on the Flash file to launch your installer program.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Nope, no good. I updated flash, made sure it was in the correct directory and still no dice.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Maybe Picasa 3 will work better for you. My Noton 360 / Fire Fox does not like flash anymore.?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This is old, but kinda gives an overview, Walt.

We ~are~ the 1%... (1.56%, actually).

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I can't really take Adrian seriously, never have. That article talks about how small a market share Linux (how can something free have a market share anyway?) has and then says losing that market share will devastate Firefox.

Adobe has been moving to HTML5 for some time from what I've heard. I believe YouTube uses HTML5 as its default player now.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
YouTube does, but it works better with Chrome in my experience. I'm not sure what Google is doing with YouTube or what Firefox is doing on their end, but whatever it is, it is keeping Firefox from being able to playback 1080@30P, 720@60P and above HD content. Intermittently, i get to play videos at the highest resolution my equipment can handle in Firefox, but getting to watch YouTube content at it's highest resolution is always possible w/ Chrome.

I'm not trying to plug Chrome here. I much prefer Firefox, but for my usage patterns Chrome is better suited to my needs for the time being.

OP
waltesefalcon

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I actually use Opera more and more. Youtube does use HTML5 and it works well in Opera. I guess that flash is just going the way of the dodo even if it will have a long swan song.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Back in the day, it was something Adobe could crow about. Now its just a lame duck.

Balls in your court Walt.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*gigglesnort*

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Walter, Have you ever tried Comodo Dragon? I had so many problems with IE and Fire Fox and getting ads thrown at me all the time, I downloaded Comodo Dragon just for he heck of it and it's quite a browser. Fairly new, but has many of the upgraded features. Adobe works very well with it on my machine. I have even tried their email program which works a little differently than some others, but they need to make it a little more user friendly. I am using Opera's email program now. PJ