• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wheels & Wheel Studs

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
Driving around this spring/summer, I knew at least two of Baby Blue's tires were out of balance. I brought the car to the tire shop today. As it turns out, two of my wheels are somewhat out-of-round in that they have a degree of vertical movement on the tire balancer. The shop did a decent job to compensate for it, but really, the only way to fix this is to replace the wheels. Is there anyone that makes the stock wheels new for the Sprite, or do I need to take my chances with finding used wheels?

I had also feared that the tire shop was either going to cross thread a lug or break a stud with their air tools. They did not disappoint in that regard as they managed to snap one of the studs on the right front wheel. Of course, the shop will replace it. My question is: How safe is it to drive with only three lugs holding the front wheel?

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I have put a few miles on 5 lug wheels with one missing in my immortal (younger) years but don't think I would on a 3 of 4. Might just limp home a very low speed if necessary but that's about all.

Country flag
You need to spin them on the car to see if they are out of true. These whiles do not center align on the center hole (hub align). They center on the lugs. So many times the center hole (that modern balancers use) throws things off more than they are. Having said that ... your old rims probably are out of round. Maybe it is time to save for a nice set of alloys.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Our B had stock steel wheels. No problems. I put some mini lite wheels on. I just THOUGHT that I had no
problems with the steel wheels. Big difference at high speeds. I couldn't believe the difference.
The steel rims were not bad at all but the difference with the alloys was none the less noticeable.
Transformative. Now highway trips are such that I find I need to watch myself or I will be doing 80.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I went to get rid of the old wheel stud this evening. They managed to snap it off right at the rotor. I tried using a screwdriver as a punch, but to no avail as of now. So, I hit the stud with some PB Blaster and will try again tomorrow. I'll probably stop by the hardware store and pick up a legitimate punch, too.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A screwdriver is rarely a suitable substitute for a real punch. Good luck.

Country flag
Be sure you have clearance on your brake disk. Some styles require the removal of the disk to remove the stud. PITA

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
A screwdriver is rarely a suitable substitute for a real punch. Good luck.

Yes, I am going to pick up a legitimate punch this evening and try again.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Get a flat tipped drift vs a pointed punch to keep from expanding the lug making it harder to get out.
Rut

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
BTW, I had about 12 OEM wheels to start with on 60FROG.....turned out only 5 were straight.....Vega wheels are another alternative....I believe the GT wheels are 5 Inch in width.

nomad

Yoda
The modern tire shop's are a real piece of work! Of course, since on line tire sales there probably isn't much profit in it. Just try and find someone that will do a decent job of balancing wire wheels!

Kurt.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Well if you are like me and live in Dayton...it's down the street...

nomad

Yoda
A little far to ship them, Jim. I'm running a set of Dayton's.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I went and bought a punch set this evening. It made very short work of the broken stud. The replacement stud is slightly longer than the original, but I didn't have any clearance issues with the disc or the rotor. I did the stack of washers with an older lug nut to pull the stud through. It's amazing how much easier a job can be when you have the right tools for it!

I'd think with wire wheels that you'd almost be better off taking them to a bicycle shop, since it looks like they operate on the same principle of truing a bicycle wheel. Although, I don't think there are any truing stands that could handle the width of a wire wheel.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Like others have said. You won't believe the differences a set alloys will make in how smooth it drives. It does not take much weight to balance good tires on good wheels.

OP
S

SaxMan

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have no doubt. Whenever I've put a new set of wheels on a bicycle, it makes the entire bicycle feel like a new bike, especially if they were lighter than previous set. Any recommendations for a good manufacturer of these?

nomad

Yoda
So there is no clearance problems with them on a square wheel arch car??? What size tires are you running?

Kurt.

sqbsprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I have 155/80s mounted and there is about 1/2" clearance inside the fender lip.

nomad

Yoda
The price is hard to beat! I just need to find the time to convert a wire wheel car with bad hubs and wheels. One hub stripped and spun a wheel and I went to the trouble to replace it. Should have switched it out then.

Kurt.