Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wheels & Wheel Studs

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Wheels & Wheel Studs

I just had my wheels (alloy) balanced and I think its the first time I ever had a shop use an adapter that went into the lug holes rather than the center hole. I also asked them not to use air tools and to torque the lugs to 45 lbs. (I had another shop break a stud, too). They had a guy go around and he removed and installed everything by hand and used a torque wrench! This shop was recommended by others and they were actually familiar with LBCs.

They also set the toe for me (the Midget barely fit on the alignment machine) and I got a print out with all the specs. Only problem is that it reads in degrees rather than inches. Anyone know how to convert degrees of toe in to inches?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    66 Posts

Re: Wheels & Wheel Studs

Quote Originally Posted by 1974MGMidget View Post
    I just had my wheels (alloy) balanced and I think its the first time I ever had a shop use an adapter that went into the lug holes rather than the center hole. I also asked them not to use air tools and to torque the lugs to 45 lbs. (I had another shop break a stud, too). They had a guy go around and he removed and installed everything by hand and used a torque wrench! This shop was recommended by others and they were actually familiar with LBCs.

They also set the toe for me (the Midget barely fit on the alignment machine) and I got a print out with all the specs. Only problem is that it reads in degrees rather than inches. Anyone know how to convert degrees of toe in to inches?
    the wonders of google:

https://www.fresnoscca.com/forums/sh...hes-to-Degrees
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)