• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Harness Cover

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

I am helping a friend address a number of cosmetic issues with his 1967 BJ8 P2 he has owned for more then 30 years. Wiring under the driver side is hanging with the original wrapping lost many years ago. Additionally, the harness extending across the firewall is also gone and wires look haphazard and messy.

I am looking to help him install a split vinyl cover over each of the harness that is also porous to allow for water drainage. Has anyone installed a split cover of this type over their harnesses and, if so, what sizes and where was it purchased.

Thanks,
Ray(64BJ8P1)

healeyblue

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
I have used this stuff on custom harnesses I have built for hotrods before. It replicates factory looms and is easy to work with. The one thing I truly hate is that plastic split loom junk. Measure the O.D. of the harness in different areas to determine which size you will need. You may need a couple different sizes. You can wrap the ends or junctions with cloth friction tape for more factory look and keep things neat.
Jim
https://www.summitracing.com/search/product-line/painless-performance-powerbraid-wire-wrap

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Hi All,

I am helping a friend address a number of cosmetic issues with his 1967 BJ8 P2 he has owned for more then 30 years. Wiring under the driver side is hanging with the original wrapping lost many years ago. Additionally, the harness extending across the firewall is also gone and wires look haphazard and messy.

I am looking to help him install a split vinyl cover over each of the harness that is also porous to allow for water drainage. Has anyone installed a split cover of this type over their harnesses and, if so, what sizes and where was it purchased.

Thanks,
Ray(64BJ8P1)
You might want to check to see how flexible the wires are. If they're stiff & insulation cracked they may be too old for any serious use. $350ish for a new harness with correct braiding.
I was going to have mine recovered but the folks I sent it to said it was "worn out".

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
There is a Bicycle Handel bar tape. It comes in colored patterns and allows one to simply re rap the wiring it is available as a cloth or a plastic material about 1/2" wide.
Check a local bike repair shop.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Just put a new harness in and be done with it . If it's more than 25yrs or so old it's done and getting ready to start a fire .
the owner of the car will thank you more .
If all the wires are hanging loose and you re wrap them tightly and neatly you will probably cause more problems . The insulation is probably breaking down and when you wrap them up the possibility of shorts etc will increase .

OP
RAC68

RAC68

Darth Vader
I don't disagree with your logic. However, replacing the car's full wiring is not a trivial task and, since the owner doesn't have the facility to do it himself or the funds to have it done, I can only suggest it be entered into future plans. In the interim, I believe it would be better to enclose them in a porous covering rather then having them hanging loosely under the car ... as they are now.

Thanks all,
Ray (64BJ8P1)

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I am with Ray on this one, having done it myself - sure the wires were stiff etc. but for little money you can wrap them up and fix them back to the chassis etc. I have ultimately replaced the whole of the wiring on the car but the temporary fix did tidy things up in the short term.

:cheers:

Bob