• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

First 2016 Miatas hit the shores

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Somebody sure likes red!

Tiger

Jedi Warrior
Most likely the limited edition models - 1000 built, all of them red with tan interior.

A great color combination -- except THAT particular red.

Happy with the Boxster -- really happy -- but part of me wanted to wait for the 4th-gen Miata. My 2000 Miata was a lot of fun, and a great owners' community.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
For the money, I can get another decent LBC.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
My wife had a ubiquitous red 92 Miata for 15 years or so. Great car, great handling, nothing ever broke. I never liked it.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I'm sure Flyin' Miata will figure out how to stuff an LS motor in there soon enough. When I did the V8 swap into the Healey, I was also considering doing a Factory 5 Daytona Coupe or a V8 Miata. For the Miata, I wanted to get emblems made up in Japanese characters for the word "Tiger" and get a vanity plate reading "CHKCAH" (Can't help it, I'm from Massachusetts). As LBC folks, how can we not like the Miata?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Reminds me when Henry built the model T, you could have it in any color you want, as long as it was Black!:highly_amused:

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Probably doesn't even leak oil.

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Probably doesn't even leak oil.
Have always liked Satch Carlson's writings. His views on what the 240Z did to the sports car world were so, so correct....anyone could own one. The Miata has just taken it another step:

"If the Datsun roadsters were rather unsung and unnoticed, however, the Datsun 240Z made up for their neglect. The 240Z made a huge splash in the sports-car market because it was quite affordable, at just over $4,000 in the early '70s. In addition, its 2.4-liter engine made it the class dodgeball bully. More important, the 240Z kicked open the door to the Men's Club. Until our streets, highways, and race tracks became crowded with ubiquitous Z cars, the sports-car clique was composed almost entirely of men, guys with grease under their fingernails, scars on their knuckles, and the skills of MacGyver. We were the ones--yes, I count myself among this noble band--who never set out in a sports car without an adequate supply of tools and spares, because we knew that no matter how short the journey, there would invariably arise a situation: For one of a dozen reasons, the car would stop, and we would have to work some sort of magic in order to get it home again. Moreover, we were quite proud of these rituals, as they confirmed our elite status as tinkers. These mechanical adventures were not restricted to sports cars, but perhaps they are invariably linked in memory because so many sports cars were British, and all the stereotypes were sadly true. That's what made the 240Z such a game-changer: It didn't leak oil in your driveway. It started when you turned the key. The wiring didn't disintegrate overnight, and the fuses didn't blow themselves for no reason. You just got in the car in the morning, started it up, and it took you wherever you wanted to go, and brought you home again. No wonder the 240Z became known as the secretary's car. The implications of that phrase are not really a sexist sneer--it takes a real man to drive a sports car--but rather an acknowledgment that now the world of sports cars was open to everybody. Anybody--secretary, school teacher, Indian chief--could now include a sports car as an adjunct to a real life; in previous years, the sports-car owner had to devote a considerable amount of time, money, and effort just to maintain that glamorous lifestyle. (Actually, it was only glamorous in our wistful hopes; there's nothing particularly glamorous in whacking on an SU fuel pump with a roadside rock in hopes of knocking its fried contacts apart. The glamour thing had to do with driving the car, which constituted about ten percent of the relationship.) Perhaps more important, somebody with, you know, a real job could now get to and from work with no drama, arriving on time with clean hands. It always amazed me that the 240Z seemed so absolutely bulletproof, because its principles were exactly the same as other sports cars', yet other sports cars--and not just British sports cars, either--were still known for various temperamental idiosyncrasies. Four-banger Porsches were known for their leaky carburetors, while my Saab Sonett went through points like a fat kid eating caramel corn. In those days, a nail file was a vital instrument in my daily-driving tool kit, along with a book of matches. The nail file was for smoothing burnt, pitted points, and the cardboard matchbook cover was just about the perfect thickness for setting the point gap. If some of us diehards nursed a certain resentment that now the sports-car world was open to anybody, mechanically inclined or not, male or female, rich or poor, we might have at least taken comfort in the notion that the 240Z was not exactly a hard-core, meat-eating pur sang machine, but before the words "secretary's car!" could be shouted aloud, along came Bob Sharp on the East Coast and Peter Brock on the other end of the country to crank out 240Z race cars that pretty much dominated the C Production class on every race track in the country."