• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Green Bugeye on E-Bay

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice car, will be interested to see what it sells for.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
$25,100 with five days left. Already $7K more than I thought it would sell for.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
This BE looks to be very well done. Far higher grade of restoration than the yellow or red one that a dealer has on eBay right now. It's timing on when the market peaks every year. Usually in early Spring.

OP

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I looked up the location of the car and it is in Oakhurst, Ca near Yosemite. Oakhurst has a population of about 2,900 people so it is probably not going to sell locally with that small of an audience.
It does kind of amaze me that BE's like this one are around and yet never seen until it goes on E-Bay. I wonder how many other unseen Gems are out there. well never seen on the BCF for instance.

nomad

Yoda
27K Wow!!! Its not original or perfect...just nice.

Kurt.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Basically it is down to two bidders duking it out. It will be interesting to see which one blinks.

Well, yeah. Now that this guy retracted his bid:

Bidder
s.gif
btnHelp.gif
ActionDate of Bid and Retraction
s.gif
a***v
s.gif
( 145
iconTealStar_25x25.gif
)
Retracted: US $178,000.00
Bid: Jul-04-15 13:52:09 PDT
Retracted: Jul-04-15 13:55:55 PDT

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
$34,501...wow. Check out the bidding history, guy won it by $1!

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
This one was not as nice as IRis Leo S's BE that sold 2-3 years ago. But I need to show to my wife so she stops combining about 2 rusty BE projects that I own.

racingenglishcars

Darth Vader
Country flag
It is a stunning looking car. A rust free body is always a good thing, and all the spare original parts with it is helpful. It has later model engine, trans, brakes. Yeah, all the good stuff, even thought the wheels are far from "period" equipment. So not original but mostly finished, and a very nice looking car at that. But that price! I think the price pushes the limits of what I would think reasonable. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that this will make my own car a bit more valuable, but can it really be true that a "resto-rod" is worth more than a pristine original example?
Btw, I personally think the rear springs sit way too high and the interior panels detract from the arm room. But I guess that's just personal taste.

Gundy

Luke Skywalker
Seems resto/mod that is sensitive to the car's origins isn't hurting the price.
What if you took this car to another level?
Street performance setup doesn't have to hinder driveabilty.
You reach that point of no $ return eventually. This sale shows
that point keeps climbing for solid Frogeyes.
Go Frogs!

OP

59diamond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I guess if somebody really wants something and they have the moola then price is no object. I think it takes a buyer who really likes good quality work.

BlueMax

Jedi Warrior
You have to consider what it takes to do a mod car compared to original car labor/cost wise.

Original car you just remove and replace back with its replacement part.. No creativity/innovation or enhancements. That’s where the expensive comes to play.

If we were talking about a DB5 Astons or 275 GTB 4, cars with production of less than a 1000, of coarse you would want to keep its originality. Or if you have an original Bugeye that say was the first car or the last car produced kept in the museum for sure it should be kept original.

Lets not forget that Sprites were made cheep for the starter sport car enthusiast..

Look in the original parts catalog. There is a whole chapter of performance parts provided by BMC. You had springs, camshafts, sway-bars, shocks, wheels, exhaust, carburetors, distributors, and may other performance components. Donald knew that racing and performance parts would enhance the Bugeye Sprite owners driving experience. He even showed the world how well the cars would perform when he showed up at Sebring in 59.

Much rather have a resto/mod than a car that will barely stop, has no power, body roll to the hilts. 43 hp with 52lbs of torque, 0-60 20.5 seconds, man that’s eating some asphalt for sure. Usain Bolt could beet it in 100 meters.. “NO” I’ll keep my resto/mod while keeping looks all British.