• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Bellows thermostat for tr3

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Bellows thermostat for tr3 and Metropolitan Nash Thermostat are interchangeable. There is a guy selling some NOS ones for the metro for 22.00 out of Kentucky on eBay. I think were made right there also probably back in the 60ites. I am not sure if he knows they are interchangeable with the English stuff. I bought one and they look ok, so I thought I would tell the forum. If I remember correct, the tr3 and metro rag top are the same also.

TRopic6

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
SP,

I took a look at the auction, and while it is a bellows thermostsat, there is no ring to seal off the bypass. What operational difference that makes is debatable, but it may matter to some.

Jeff

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I took a look at the auction, and while it is a bellows thermostsat, there is no ring to seal off the bypass. What operational difference that makes is debatable, but it may matter to some.
Indeed the sleeve to block the bypass would be the only reason for using a bellows thermostat at all, IMO. A modern "wax pellet" type works far better at controlling engine temperature.

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hmmm, I have a Lucas LF2 bellows-style thermostat, and besides the TR 2, 3, 3A and 4, others are specified: Aston Martin DB5, Jag 120 and 140, various English Fords, Rileys, Wolseleys and a Rover.
No Metropolitan mentioned. Were Nash Metros only sold in the States?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well done, Randall! Should have read a little further:
Austin A35, A40, A50, A55 Mk I, A90, A95, A105 and.....Metropolitan!

Although, in my defense, I was looking for Nash.

Great catch!

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Ya I am not totally sold on them either, I just like the box and complexity of the thermostat. I did drop it in hot water, and when it opens it kinda makes a flat area for the shutting off of the hole, but again I have the real deal blanking one in my driver.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
...Austin A35, A40, A50, A55 Mk I, A90, A95, A105 and.....Metropolitan! Although, in my defense, I was looking for Nash...

Just an FYI... there was also a Hudson Metropolitan. Mostly badging and some extra chrome. Fairly rare, I only know of this because there is one 'parked' locally that I have seen.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
At that point, Nash and Hudson had merged to form AMC, so it was just a matter of putting a Hudson badge (and a few other trim items) on the car, and selling through Hudson dealers. Later on, AMC dropped the Hudson and Nash names entirely, calling the car simply "Metropolitan" and selling them through Rambler dealers.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Bellows thermostat for tr3 and Metropolitan Nash Thermostat are interchangeable. There is a guy selling some NOS ones for the metro for 22.00 out of Kentucky on eBay. I think were made right there also probably back in the 60ites. I am not sure if he knows they are interchangeable with the English stuff. I bought one and they look ok, so I thought I would tell the forum. If I remember correct, the tr3 and metro rag top are the same also.
EDIT: I found them on eBay! [Would you happen to have a seller ID or auction number (link) to these?] The bellows-type thermostat are also useful / mandatory on some Heralds due to location of the temp. gauge sender on the earlier Heralds.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The bellows-type thermostat are also useful / mandatory on some Heralds due to location of the temp. gauge sender on the earlier Heralds.
Can you expand a bit on that, Andy? I don't understand. The bellows thermostats are larger in every direction than a wax capsule type, so it can't be that the sender interferes mechanically with the thermostat. Can it?