• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

450 sl

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Sure, I know what you're thinking. How does a 450 SL rate a "spotted?" They're everywhere, right?

But are they? They certainly used to be. But as a really nice blue one rolled by me yesterday it occurred to me that I hadn't seen one in a while. For something that used to be oh so common you hardly see Der Panzerwagen anymore.

Funny thing was, the guy driving it was really big and actually made the car look small.

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I still see a few of them driving around, and there are always ones for sale on the local CL, especially if you count the 380 and 560 variants. I know a guy who has daily driven his since new, and we live in the rust belt. They must have been designed an bolted together pretty well to have survived in such big numbers, although many if not most all were bought originally by people as fair weather 2nd or 3rd cars and let pretty easy lives.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
You're right; not so common anymore.

They are actually nice cars and I wouldn't mind having one as a daily cruiser......if I didn't have all these other English cars already. :smile:

I really like the 5th generation cars (R230). A V6 version would suit me fine.

OP
PC

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
.... They must have been designed an bolted together pretty well to have survived in such big numbers, although many if not most all were bought originally by people as fair weather 2nd or 3rd cars and let pretty easy lives.
Oh yeah, they're built well, like tanks (hence the nickname Panzerwagen, coined by the engineers who designed it). Treat them well and they'll last forever.

While MB continues to support them, it's not cheap to give them the ongoing love they deserve. I think a lot of people don't have the will to keep up maintenance on an old car. So many are just parked and more than a few have been scrapped.

Most Benz drivers I've met are in the lease it for a few then turn it over crowd. Even the hard core guys admit it's tough to keep the momentum going. A good friend finally threw in the towel and sold his immaculate 560 coupe. His 280 SL on the other hand, you'll have to pry from his cold dead fingers.

Elva164

Jedi Trainee
The 450SL will always hold a special place in my heart as it was the first car I ever drove! Granted, it was from behind the shop to in front of the shop and I had to be careful not to drop my feet through the (missing) floor...but still!

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I used to own a 79 450 SEL for several years, one of my favorite cars.