• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Sodding electrics!!

sultanoswing

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Have just lost brake lights, reverse lamps, fuel guage and turn indicators....

...time to check the fuse and green wire...

With a variable speed right indicator flash rate just prior to this episode (before I fitted a voltage-independant unit) - I smell a sneaky bad earth somewhere....

Sigh.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
heh. both of my turn indicators are variable speed. I don't expect them to blink when I have my lights on anymore....

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
Nunyas you try changing the bulbs? With the lights on the right side would turn on but not blink and the left was super slow. All new bulbs fixed it and they now all blink the same speed lights on or off.

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag
hmmm... i haven't tried changing the bulbs. But from op checking them they all seem to light up. I guess if they're old they might have some resistance built up in them or something? I'll give it a try next weekend, or something.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
That fuse box adapter looks suspiously like a left-handed smoke sifter to me...I have been looking for one for years! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bruce /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

maynard

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Don't remember the year they started putting an ignition relay in the cars, but the symptoms you describe are typical of a bad ignition relay.

OP
sultanoswing

sultanoswing

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The iggnition relay wasn't fited until the mid-70s at least (my GT is a '71 UK import).

having said that - that reminds me....to be honest, I have wired the ignition (+) of my modern mp3 CD player directly onto the white output spade of the ignition barrel - perhaps this has something to do with it?

I'll check the indicator bulb grounding and housings today, and make up local good earths, and see if that helps...

ps that Lucas smoke item was particulalry cruel yet well-observed - I had some coming out of the steering column cowl this morning - I've narrowed the problem down the the right-side indicators /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

OP
sultanoswing

sultanoswing

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I think my (now ex) home CD installation MAY be the cause of the problems. The local lamp grounds look all OK, so far as I can see.

I think the CD player draw is overloading and then sometimes blowing the white->green fuse i.e. #2 in the 4-fuse box - causing fuel guage failure, turn lamp failure, tachometer failure and reverse light failure. This only occures when I flip the indicators on - and particularly the right side. I think it was only happening with the CD player/radio connected and playing.

So....

1) I completely unplugged CD player. It was hooked from a constant source (? exactly where, I took it from the existing radio player) and directly off the ignition barrel white wire. So far, so good.

2) If this stays good, I think I'll go back to solid basics and power the CD player straight from the battery on a a 30Amp fused source , and a second battery derived source running through an ignition-linked relay switch. Then of course a SOLID ground. That'll show it!

Will let you know how it pans out...

AlamedaMGB

After having left direct powered radios on far too many times, I have taken to adding a relay driven accessory system in all my cars.

check out https://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4388&prmenbr=361 for an example. It's really easy to run power directly to this and then pick up an ignition or accessory line to trigger the relay..

It keeps all the current out of the ignition switch, gives you modern fuses, and room to add more accessories. After having replaced too many turn signal/high beam switches, I ran my headlights off a relay setup as well. Takes all the high amperage out of the column.

Good luck

OP
sultanoswing

sultanoswing

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Ahhh - the sweet sound (and lack of smoke smell) of success.

All relayed up and rocking - with no hint of turn lamp fatigue or dead fuses (so far). In fact, while I was behind the dash I fixed the faulty heater blower switch and swapped out all the 35A fuses for slow blow modern 20's.

After I manage to actually enjoy this setup for a bit, it's time to fix the windscreen washer motor...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif