• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Paint - DIY

oud272

Freshman Member
Country flag
I want to give encouragement to all of you that have considered painting their car themselves. It's not that hard to do once you build up the confidence and of course you have the pride of knowing that you did it yourself.

The last time I painted a car was 30 years ago with Glasurit hand brush enamel, sprayed from a gun. I didn't know what I was doing then, maybe still don't, but I did more research this time.

The tub was completely stripped down, the bed liner that the DPO applied to the engine bay was removed with a heat gun and scraper and then media blasted. There were only two small rust spots that needed repairing and it still has the original floors.

When I purchased the car it was painted white, but I decided to take it back to its original Iris Blue. I sprayed the primer in my shop and then rented a spray booth for the top coat. It turned out well and I'm real chuffed with the results.

I used Kustom Shop DTM primer sealer from TCP Global (almost a gal.) followed by PPG Concept DCC single stage (3/4 gal.). The PPG was mixed to match an existing piece of the original body that was still in Iris Blue by the local paint store (Industrial Finishes).

Dave

Attachments

• DSC01651.jpg
    DSC01651.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 97
  • DSC01661.jpg
    DSC01661.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 84

dklawson

Yoda
Nice job. How much did it cost to rent the paint booth?

I have been using the TCP paints recently and found them to be quite good. My only complaint is the shipping charge to the east coast... but that's not TCP's fault. I also like the DCC paint from PPG. I found it sprayed really well and buffed up to a nice shine. One suggestion the local PPG rep gave to me was to spray the final top coat as a 50/50 mix of the color coat and their DCU clear coat. The result is a deeper gloss than the single stage color coat alone provides.

bugedd

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Nice work! Its something I'd like to learn, one of these days I'll have to get up some confidence and give it a try.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Painted mine in the carport with snow on the ground before and in the new garage the second redo... If you can do prep work, the. The painting part is easy day.

OP
oud272

oud272

Freshman Member
Country flag
Nice job. How much did it cost to rent the paint booth?

I have been using the TCP paints recently and found them to be quite good. My only complaint is the shipping charge to the east coast... but that's not TCP's fault. I also like the DCC paint from PPG. I found it sprayed really well and buffed up to a nice shine. One suggestion the local PPG rep gave to me was to spray the final top coat as a 50/50 mix of the color coat and their DCU clear coat. The result is a deeper gloss than the single stage color coat alone provides.

The paint booth cost $150 for the day (8:00am to 8:00am the next day) and the owner does all the cleaning so all you need to do is turn up and paint. He also has a great air system with a chiller. My son suggested mixing with the clear with the final coat but as this was basically my first paint job I tried to keep it simple.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Nice Job! i painted mine myself with TCP global paint as well last summer. i think that stuff is well worth the money! it's probably not as durable as DCC, but 1/4 the cost. it took one gallon to do the whole car including the underside of the tub, the inside of the bonnet and the cockpit. I'm building a 24 X 36 X 9 garage in the backyard this summer to facilitate more home paint jobs:smile:. i've got an itch to rebuild a triumph GT6 Mk1 next.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 20140702_164527.jpg
    20140702_164527.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 135
  • 20140702_164447.jpg
    20140702_164447.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 132

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I probably wouldn't try to paint a metallic first go... But it's not to hard to paint normal colors just take your time. It's all in the prep work. I use the Eastwood paint and it works great, plus it's cheap. Painted 2 cars with it now, both a red and black and Id recommend them for the do it yourselfer

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you would like to learn, your local community college may be a good choice. I took a number of classes at Contra Costa College in San Pablo, CA and learned a world of stuff about body repair, welding, and painting. Next job, painting the TR6 british racing green.
Scott in CA
attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20150601_192533620.jpg
    IMG_20150601_192533620.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 101
OP
oud272

oud272

Freshman Member
Country flag
that is leaf green from the 1958 AH/MG color chip card on TCPGlobal.com. those color chip cards are supposed to be original.

Nice looking green. What did the first coat cover like?

I wonder what the Iris Blue from TCP Global would look like compared to the match to the old Iris Blue I found on my car?
The red '59 Bugeye I have was originally Iris Blue as well. I would like to try the paint from TCP Global, but not sure that I want another Iris Blue

dklawson

Yoda
I believe TCP uses the PPG color chip set for their OEM matches. I have no idea how close their mixes come to being "correct". To date all I have used are the generic colors from their pre-mixed fleet paint family.

OP
oud272

oud272

Freshman Member
Country flag
I believe TCP uses the PPG color chip set for their OEM matches. I have no idea how close their mixes come to being "correct". To date all I have used are the generic colors from their pre-mixed fleet paint family.

PPG have an Iris Blue formulation for their waterborne line of paints, but not for the DCC, so they had to match to an existing sample.

Just wondering as I was thinking of painting my '59 the "original" Cherry Red.

markberry

Jedi Trainee
Nice looking green. What did the first coat cover like?

I wonder what the Iris Blue from TCP Global would look like compared to the match to the old Iris Blue I found on my car?
The red '59 Bugeye I have was originally Iris Blue as well. I would like to try the paint from TCP Global, but not sure that I want another Iris Blue

it covered well. like i said, i like the paint for the price. the durability still remains to be seen though. if it fades or chips unreasonably i guess i would repaint the outer body panels with DCC. by going through TCP i was able to take advantage of them having the color chips to work from as well. i couldn't find any formula codes that were still valid for PPG.

dklawson

Yoda
Just wondering as I was thinking of painting my '59 the "original" Cherry Red.

If I remember correctly, TCP has online color chips of what they can offer. You may find they have the BMC chip for Cherry Red which would justify calling and asking if they can mix it in one of their house brand paint types.

I am sure you are already aware that red paints typically cost a bit more and weather worse than other colors. We used their Corvette Monza Red on the Spitfire. It looks good when washed, glazed and waxed... for about 6 months. After that it starts to look a little weathered.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
For all the work involved, 6 months sure seems like a short life to still be looking top notch.

dklawson

Yoda
In defense of the paint, it is red and the car is parked outside at college with no waxing or maintenance until my son comes home from school. A wash, light going over by hand with glazing compound and the shine comes back quickly.