• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Hard Top questions

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hi all! I have a factory hardtop that I'm trying to fix up. It is in great condition other than the torn headliner and being the wrong color. I'm going to have it painted as soon as I can get those darn pop rivets out that hold the back trim in. Any suggestions? They don't seem to drill out easy at all. My other question is regarding soundproofing. For those that have done it or not done it, is it worth it? Finally, do you other hard top owners use the back deck attachments (the ones that would require drilling, I'm assuming) or do you get by with just the windshield and convertible top attachment points? Thanks for any suggestions or any other hard top pointers.

OP
John_Mc

John_Mc

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Also, I hadn't planned to take out the rivets and "snaps" that hold the chrome trim on. Do you think the paint will adversely affect the fit?

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Is this a stock steel hardtop? Should be no drilling required. The rear attachment uses 2 of the stock locations where the soft top rear rail screws into.

Cheers
Tush

Tybalt

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is this a stock steel hardtop? Should be no drilling required. The rear attachment uses 2 of the stock locations where the soft top rear rail screws into.

Cheers
Tush

Agreed, you unbolt the rear attaching plate/strip and place it in the interior with the soft top or remove the soft top completely. The rear hardtop mounting points are then bolted down using those same holes. Do be aware that removing the soft top completely to fit the hard top does require different side mounting hardware just behind the doors than what is used when the soft top is left in place.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi John,

No, mine still has the original headliner in it.

Honestly, I'm not sure if you would need it. I find the car much quieter with the hard top on vs the soft top...so quiet I can hear the float in my gas tank moving sometimes when the gas sloshes around :smile:

I know some people have added dynamat/fatmat or similar before installing the headliner. Couldn't hurt it....

Cheers
Tush

PeterK

Yoda
You can buy headliner material by the yard that has 1/4 foam scrim attached for sound deadening. Google or ebay.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I lined my hardtop with Dynamat. I wanted the sound deadening and some insulation from the Alabama heat. I didn't install the hardtop without the Dynamax so I can't gage the improvement. I can tell you there is no tinny sound or echo from buffeting with the windows open. It does increase the weight a bit.

A friend made a new headlined from Sunbrella. I had him use black. It fits well and should last longer that I'll be alive. Plus it does not stain if any water gets to it. It's the same material hi dollar boat covers and canvas are made from. It comes in a variety of colors if black isn't your choice.
Something else you mat consider is Alcantara . I don't know the price but it is common is many luxury cars.
https://www.alcantara.com/en/index.do

I have a copy of instructions for installing a headliner posted several years ago by Vance Navarrette. Send me your email address and I'll send you a copy. They were helpful and accurate

BOBH

Last edited:

Jack1954

Freshman Member
Hi Bob,

I'm a new member from Europe and just acquired a TR6 hardtop, however without the attachments and headliner. I now obtained some parts secondhand in the Uk but don't really know how exactly to fit them. Do you still have the instructions and if so could you mail them yo me.

Thanks

Jack

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Jack,
Sorry, I haven't been on the forum as much as I used to be. I'm looking for the instructions. When I find them I will try to post a copy. Can you post pictures of the parts you have obtained?

Thanks,
Bob

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Attached is a PDF of the official "Triumph Hard Top Fitting Instructions for the T.R 6 Hard Top Kit". The PDF was created by scanning a copy of the instructions. Some of the photos do not have good contrast but the scan accurately reproduced the pictures in my copy. If you have questions please let me know. I will try to be available to reply.

BOBH

Although I used the upload function the PDF does not appear in the post. The size is 181KB. The limit is 20KB. If you need a copy please send me your Email address. I will send the PDF directly through email.

Last edited: