• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Texas Kooler Fan Availability?

westcirque

Freshman Member
Hello,

My BJ8 has the original 4 blade fan. It runs pretty hot when stuck in traffic (we had an entertaining time Friday night driving downtown to my son's grad - bridge police incident - 10 minutes iding in hot traffic - almost stalled in mega traffic with my wife and son in the car).

This got me researching online how to deal with engine heat and the consensus seems to be that the Texas Kooler fan is the first thing to try. But Moss no longer sells them.

Does anyone know of a source?

Thanks,

Boiling in Vancouver.....

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Not sure :

However, try these folks they may know:-www.ntahc.org

shortsguy1

Jedi Hopeful
The 5 bladed red plastic fan sold by DW is a repurposed BMW 2002tii fan. If you are able to do a little custom fitting yourself, perhaps ordering the BMW part is a little cheaper.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The 5 bladed red plastic fan sold by DW is a repurposed BMW 2002tii fan. If you are able to do a little custom fitting yourself, perhaps ordering the BMW part is a little cheaper.
screenshot.109.jpg
screenshot.111.jpg
Looks like DW includes a center adapter.

shortsguy1

Jedi Hopeful
Yes, I agree DW includes a large round piece of metal that fits the center hub, which does not come with the fan if you purchase elsewhere. Also, if you use the 3D viewer on the DW website, you can see that they had to drill new holes through the center hub for our engines.

I have no idea if shipping from the UK to Canada is expensive, but I just wanted the original poster to understand he may have other options if he has some of his own manufacturing abilities. I certainly don't want to undercut DW, as those sorts of businesses are invaluable to us. If the original poster had been in the UK, I would not have mentioned it.

shortsguy1

Jedi Hopeful
As an aside, if someone desperately wants a Texas Kooler fan, please contact me privately and I can provide the name of a vendor who claims to have a very small number in stock. I had a bad experience with the vendor, so I do not want to advertise for them here. But I also don't want to flame them publicly, as perhaps my experience was just a fluke and they are a good vendor overall. I am new to this community and want to be respectful of those who have been Healey owners and suppliers for a lot longer than myself.

And to be clear, this vendor has not been mentioned so far in this thread.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Yes - although I think I could be able to make an adapter. I will see if I can find a 2002 fan.

Yes you can.

I made one for my Texas cooler fans. Let me remind you that balance is extremely important.
Consequently, the "Spacer" was made using1/2" aluminum and turned on a lathe, the diameter of the spacer was equal to the diameter of flat center section of the fan.
The mounting holes in the spacer matching those in the pump pulley were located and bored using a milling machine.

Remounting of the fan with the spacer showed the extreme flexing I initially saw in the fan was no longer of significance.:applause:

shortsguy1

Jedi Hopeful
The center adapter that steveg noted above with the DW 5 bladed plastic fan appears to be some sort of reinforcement at the bolt holes. It provides no additional depth to move the fan towards the radiator, so that is a little different than what Keoke is describing.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
It provides no additional depth to move the fan towards the radiator,

Good Point:
However, mine does not either because it fits in front of the fan's center.
Placing the Spacer behind the fan will not stiffen it

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
The cost of the DW fan with hub adapter is $60.80 USD plus shipping; the BMW fan on Amazon is $54.17 with free shipping (US only maybe) - so unless one has access to free or nearly-free machine work and the desire to do the engineering, it makes economic sense to buy the DW product.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The cost of the DW fan with hub adapter is $60.80 USD plus shipping;

OMG!

Sure glad we don't have to pay VAT too.:glee:

shortsguy1

Jedi Hopeful
Just to help anyone else out who is maintaining a Healey on a tight budget (I know, I know, a nearly impossible exercise), the BMW 2002tii 5 bladed red plastic fan is available from several vendors at a lower price than Amazon. In fact, the MSRP at the BMW dealer is $41 USD, so you can definitely find it for less than $40 online. If anyone cares, the part number is 11521255505. Steveg is absolutely right that DW's price is very fair and the savings of going directly to BMW are modest at best.

RAC68

Darth Vader
I'm a little confused. If you can buy (or order) the fan and pick it up at your local BMW dealer, it seems to be that you would save on the purchase price,the shipping (not that inexpensive to me), and have a shorter or no wait.

Am I missing something?
Ray (64BJ8P1)